Sons & Grandsons of
Westmoreland County, Part 3
& Edited by K. R. Overholt Critchfield, © 1-1-2007
~~ Updated 1-26-12 ~~
Son of Gaspard Markle & Mary Roadarmel;
Grandson of John Chrisman Markle & Jemima Weurtz;
Husband of Elizabeth "Betsy" Painter;
Husband of Elizabeth Lloyd;
Father of thirteen children.
In 1799, Gen. Joseph
Markle, then a young man twenty-two years old, made
his first trip to New Orleans with a load of flour from
his fathers mill. He left Robbstown (West Newton)
in March, and was six weeks on the voyage. The early
traders and boatmen on the Ohio and Mississippi Rivers
followed quick on the heels of the pioneers, and were a
hardy and adventurous race. Before the introduction of
steamboats on the Western waters they were the common
carriers of the Great West. Pittsburgh and Robbstown were
their headquarters, and New Orleans the Ultima Thule of
their voyages. It was a long and tedious journey, the
difficulty of returning adding greatly to its perils and
the time occupied. As far as communication with white
inhabitants was concerned, the voyage might as well have
been made on the wide ocean.
The unwieldy and sluggish
flat-boats crawled slowly along with the current until it
entered the Mississippi, where, amidst its whirlpools and
eddies and its rushing waters, the sturdy voyager
strained every nerve to save it from wreck on snags and
sawyers. At night they lashed their boats close under the
shore, and again at early dawn set out for their voyage.
The boatmen generally
returned by what was called the "Wilderness
route" by the way of Natchez, Nashville, Lexington,
Chillicothe, etc. From the vicinity of Natchez to
Nashville the route was by the Indian trail through the
Chickasaw nation, a distance of about six hundred and
~~ Engraved by A. H.
Markle had retired from business before 1799, when
the management of the mills, farms, etc., all
devolved upon Gen. Joseph Markle.
In 1806 he erected another
grist-mill, and in 1811 formed a partnership with
Simon Drum, of Greensburg, and during that year built a
large paper-mill, the third establishment of the kind
west of the Alleghenies. Mr. Drum, father of Adjt.-Gen.
Drum, of the United States army, residing at a distance,
the entire superintendency was added to Gen. Markles
other duties. Gen. Markle was captain of a
company of light dragoons (troop) in the war of 1812,
and was in the battle with the Indians on the expedition
against the Mississinewa towns on the Wabash River, in
which Lieut. Waltz (from his vicinity) and sixteen others
Four other members of the Markle
family were in this troop, one of whom, Jacob [Joseph's younger brother], was appointed to fill the vacant lieutenancy
occasioned by Waltzs death. Gen. Markle was
under Gen. Harrison, and was at the siege of Fort Meigs,
and the sorties which accompanied it. While [he was] away
in the West fighting the British and Indians, the dam of
the paper-mill on the Sewickley was swept away by a
flood, but it was immediately repaired by the supervision
of his wife, and the manufacture of paper extensively
carried on. His dealings with a single house in
Pittsburgh in a few years then amounted to more than a
hundred thousand dollars. He supplied a greater part
of Western Pennsylvania with paper, and personally
distributed large quantities in Ohio and Kentucky. His
farm, too, in the meanwhile was cultivated with great
industry and vigor.
The flour-mill was kept
constantly employed. He also kept a store, out of
which the great number of hands employed by him were
partly paid for their services. The profits of the whole
were no doubt very great, but the freedom with which he
lent his name to his friends ultimately swallowed them up
and left him deeply involved. In 1829, in order to
relieve himself from the vexation consequent to his
embarrassments, he transferred to two of his sons, S.
Brown Markle] and Cyrus P.
Painter Markle], over
three hundred acres of land, including the paper-mill,
upon the condition of their paying his responsibilities.
This condition was faithfully performed by the payment of
every dollar for which he was morally or legally bound.
He retained the ancient
homestead of two hundred and twenty-five acres. It is one
of those retired and fertile nooks into which our German
population are so fond of retiring. Though selected by Gaspard
Markle with far different views, it is just such a
spot as the eye of the lover of nature would delight to
survey. It is beautifully situated on the east bank of
the Sewickley. The principal part of the farm, descending
gently from the east, terminates with a more abrupt
descent at the stream. On an elevated point between the
creek and a small rivulet which traverses the farm stands
the family mansion, now occupied by George Markle [George A. Markle,
m. Ov2a39 Emma F. Overholt]. It is
a large stone building, erected about 1818, and of rather
modern construction. The frame mansion built in 1817 is
occupied by Gen. C. P. Markle.
Mill Grove -
Residence & Paper Mill of Gen. Cyrus Painter Markle
Sewickley Township, Westmoreland
Immediately below the
former is the mill built in 1806. From
this point the stream, rushing and brawling among the
rocks, pours along the base of a high and precipitous
hill, crowned with oaks and fringed below with spruce and
cedar. Hemmed in by the hill, it sweeps around a
beautiful plateau of cultivated fields, and again
approaches the mansion house. It has evidently at one
time, after traversing a distance of a mile and a half,
returned to within fifty paces of its present channel
near the mill. Through the narrow isthmus thus formed Gen.
Joseph Markle cut a tunnel, and through this and a
canal cut along the deserted bed of the creek the water
is now conveyed to the paper-mill. Here after having
performed its office it is precipitated into its parent
stream, which rushing through a cleft in the rocks rolls
down its water towards the Youghiogheny.
All or most of these
objects are directly under the eye of the mansion. The
hill towering and stretching along it towards the setting
sun, the creek at its base with its fringe of evergreen,
the fields embossed in their midst and dotted over with
the houses, paper-mill, the residences of the
proprietors, and the neat white cottages of the hands,
the clatter of the mill, and the ceaseless rush of the
waters, all conspire to make this a spot where its owners
may seek repose from the cares and vexations of life.
In the "Whiskey
Insurrection" of 1794, Maj.-Gen. Daniel
Morgans wing of the Federal army encamped on
Gaspard Markles homestead, and the garlic still
found in this region troubling the land-owners is
attributable to its being introduced by that army. Gaspard
Markle was opposed to the lawless opposition
engendered against the excise laws and the officials sent
here to enforce it, and saw with chagrin the defiers of
law erect a liberty-pole on his lands, being unable in
the excitement of the then maddened populace to prevent
it. He died in 1819. Gen. Joseph Markle, his son,
in 1837 purchased of his friend and old commander, Gen.
Harrison, five hundred acres of land near Princeton, Md.,
and eighty acres of another party near Vincennes same
day. He died March 15, 1867, in his ninety-first year.
C. P. Markle
& Sons Paper Mills
West Newton, PA
Gen. C.P. Markle
has some one thousand acres of rich lands on the
Sewickley, all underlaid with the finest Youghiogheny coal.
His splendid stock and dairy farm consists of
three hundred acres, from which the annual sales of
Jersey cattle exceed ten thousand dollars. His cattle and
herds are among the best in the State. He and his sons
have also a large butchering establishment in West
Newton, where are daily slaughtered animals from their
farm to feed the people of that manufacturing town.
The first paper-mill
was erected in 1811, by Gen. Joseph Markle, in
connection with Simon Drum, who only continued in the
business a few years. It was a frame structure, located
half a mile below the mansion, and was torn down in 1826.
Gen. Markle built the steam paper-mill in 1827 by the
narrows. It was constructed of stone and wood, and
was over one hundred feet long. The stone end is still
standing, and is used for a warehouse. In 1829 he
turned the mill over to his sons, S.B. and Cyrus P., who
in 1846 built the frame paper- mill in South
Huntingdon township. It was operated both by steam and
water-power. It was burned in 1862. In 1859 they
erected the brick steam paper-mill in West Newton, to
which in 1864 they made extensive frame additions. It was
burned in 1876, and rebuilt in 1878. It was again burned
in 1878 and rebuilt the same year. In 1879 it was again
burned and rebuilt the same year.
In 1881, Cyrus P.
Markle & Sons, who for several years have been
the active partners of their father, the general, purchased
some five thousand acres of land on the Castleman
River, in Somerset County, where they invested over two
hundred thousand dollars, and erected very extensive
"pulpworks," in which the live trees of the
forest are manufactured in two days into pulp, as
elsewhere in this book minutely described. The principal
paper manufactured by them is the glazed hardware
paper, a particular fabric of extreme niceness
and rarity, of which they are the only manufacturers
in America of this special kind. Part of it is shipped to
Pittsburgh and the balance to New York, where much of it
goes to foreign shores, and a large amount to China.
The Markle paper-mills
have been operated by three generations. Formerly
they made all kinds of writing and bank-note papers,
manilla wrappers, etc., but now their chief fabrics
manufactured are the glazed hardwares, of a great variety
of shades and textures. When Gen. Joseph Markle
established the factory in 1811, and for a long time
afterwards, the paper was all made by hand shaking, but
now the latest inventions of skilled machinery are
employed in all departments of its manufacture. The
glazed hardwares are used by hardware manufacturers and
dealers in the packing of all kinds of steels, cutlery,
etc. The business of their paper-mill this year will
reach a million dollars, and gives employment to several
hundreds of hands of both sexes and all ages. The firm
has also very extensive coke-ovens the
"Bessemer" and "Rising Sun,"
located near Mount Pleasant, which are among the largest
and best in the State.
The pulp-factories of
C.P. Markle & Sons at Markleton, in Somerset County,
are said to be the largest in the world in their capacity
for the production of wood pulp. The following sketch
of these great works was written by one of a party of
recent visitors, and published in the newspapers.
a station created out of nothing by Mr. Markle.
He has already built ten dwelling-houses, and is building
five more; has erected a church, a store, and an elegant
little railroad station, besides his factories. The town
lies in a little basin, surrounded by great hills densely
wooded, and the Castleman River winds along beside it. On
the opposite side of the river is one of the timber
tracts belonging to C.P. Markle & Sons.
They have over 8000 acres In Somerset and Westmoreland
Counties. From Markleton a tram road extends back into
the forest for eight miles. The road is carefully built,
and T rails of excellent quality are used on it. The
scenery along the road is highly picturesque and its
beauty was heightened by about a quarter of an inch of
snow which lay upon the ground under the evergreen trees,
although there was no snow in the open spots where the
suns rays could strike It. A large gang of men were
at work about two miles from the station, getting wood
ready for the mill.
"They do not use axes
or cross-cut saws up there in cutting down trees. Such
tools are too slow in performing the required work. They
simply blow a tree up with dynamite. A specimen of this
sort of thing was witnessed by the visitors. A few large
spruce were selected as the victims, and the
feller who fells began to quickly bore a hole
in the base of the tree with an inch auger. The hole was
driven in about ten inches, the chips were removed, and a
dynamite cartridge was inserted in the hole. The dynamite
used comes in sticks like a candle, and resembles moist
brown sugar. A fuse was attached to the charge, and after
it was lighted the men sought a place of safety and
waited. In a few seconds there was a mighty roar, and the
great tree was lifted up into the air about ten feet,
then with a swoop and crash it came to the earth,
splintered half way up the trunk.
"Dynamite is not
cheap, but it may truthfully be said that a little of it
goes a great way.
"The trees are cut up
into four-foot lengths and split up into pieces like
cord-wood. Then they are hauled over to the storage-yards
beside the factories. Almost any kind of timber could be
used for making pulp, but the fibre of spruce and hemlock
is so straight and soft that it can be worked more
speedily and economically than any other available wood.
The machinery in Markles mill is strong enough to
make pulp out of lignum vitae, but it would not
"About a hundred feet
above the railroad is the mill proper. It is a superb
building, one hundred and sixty-two by eighty-six feet,
built in the most substantial manner and fitted out with
the finest class of machinery. It is here the process of
manufacture is carried on. The process is briefly this:
The sticks of wood are brought into the mill and thrown
into a large funnel which feeds a clipping-machine. This
machine consists of a large wheel furnished with five
knife-blades, and the blades chip the wood off just as
the knives of a fodder-machine cut straw. The chips are
conveyed by an elevator to the second story of the mill
and are dumped into digesters. There are
eight digesters in this mill. They resemble vertical
boilers. The chips are fed into the digesters from
openings in the top, and then a preparation of soda ash
and lime is poured upon them, and they are boiled. The
pressure of the chips as they spread apart and the fibres
separate is immense, and the digesters have to be made to
resist a pressure of one hundred and fifty pounds to the
inch. In a short time the chips become a stringy pulp,
and the liquid is run off by a pump and conveyed to the
evaporator, of which we will speak later. The pulp next
goes through a wet machine, where it is strained and
cooled. It then passes between rollers, and is made into
sheets like pasteboard. Indeed, to the uninitiated, the
sheets seem to be pasteboard of a fine and strong
quality, and of a pure white color. The most striking
feature about the mill is its water supply. Four six-inch
pipes are supplied with water from a strong mountain
stream a hundred feet above the mill. The water is
carried to the mill through thirteen hundred feet of huge
pipe, with a fall of one hundred and sixty feet. A more
magnificent supply of water could not be desired, and it
is so remarkably soft it does not require any artificial
"The evaporator which
has been alluded to is a great building, one hundred and
forty-eight feet long and thirty-eight feet wide. It is
supplied with a long battery of small furnaces, above
which are the retorts into which the alkalai is pumped
from the mill. It is then evaporated until soda ash is
the result, and this ash is again used in preparing pulp.
There is but a trifle loss in evaporation, and the same
alkali is used again and again. This evaporator is the
most perfect building of its kind in existence, and yet
it is not large enough to do all the work required, and
the foundations of another one have already been laid.
"On the mountain
side, a couple of hundred yards above the evaporator, is
a six-foot vein of coal, which is opened, and which is to
be connected with the works by a tramway.
of the mill is sixty thousand pounds of pulp daily. A
cord of wood will make twelve hundred pounds of pulp.
This pulp is worth one hundred and forty dollars a ton.
About five tons of the pulp will make three tons of
paper, we believe, although we base this on a guess. The
pulp is transported to the Markle paper-mills at West
Newton, and there it speedily becomes paper. The firm has
invested over a quarter of a million of dollars in its
works at Markleton, but they will be amply repaid for
their outlay. The mills will be in operation in two
weeks, and will give employment to nearly two hundred
men. A new papermill has been built at West Newton
by the firm, and in a day or two it will begin work. The
store of the firm is managed by Mr. John A.
Miller, a very clever young gentleman, and the
post-office called Fibre is in charge of Mr. John
"This mere outline of
this great enterprise gives but a poor idea of its
merits, but it shows how, as Capt. Markle
remarked, a tree that waved its branches in
the forest wind at noon on Monday may be sold on Tuesday
morning by the newsboys of Pittsburgh, who shout,
Heres your morning paper! All about the
great pulp-works at Markleton!"
portion taken from History of the County of
Westmoreland,"South Huntingdon Township," pp.
About General Joseph Markle
Gen. Joseph Markle
was born in the township of South Huntingdon,
Westmoreland County, Pa., Feb. 15, 1777. The family are
of German descent. His grandfather, John Chrisman
Merklin (written in this country Markle), was
born at Alsace, on the Rhine, about the year 1678. Some
time after the Edict of Nantes, in 1685, he fled from
Germany, passing down the Rhine into Holland, and settled
in Amsterdam. Here he married Jemima Weurtz,
or Weurtzen, a sister of the admiral of
that name. In 1703 he emigrated to the United
States, and settled at a place called
"Salem Springs," in Berks County, Pa. Here he
purchased fifteen hundred acres of land. He was by trade
a coach-maker, and established on his purchase a
wagon-makers shop, blacksmith-shop, and grist-mill.
He had nine children, of whom Gaspard
Markle, the father of Gen. Markle, was the
youngest. He (Gaspard) was born in Berks
County in 1732. He married Elizabeth Grim,
and in 1770 removed to Westmoreland County.
Not long after his removal to the West his wife died, and
in 1776 he returned to Berks and married Mary
Roadarmel. Gen. Markle was the eldest child by
died in September, 1819, aged nearly eighty-eight year.
For several years after the settlement of the family in
Westmoreland the neighboring settlements on the Allegheny
and Kiskiminetas were harassed by the Indians, and the
residence of Gaspard Markle was the post of refuge to
which the settlers fled for succor and safety.
Gen. Markles elder brothers were active
participants in repelling the attacks of the savages, and
distinguished themselves by their courage, intrepidity,
and power of enduring fatigue and exposure. Several of
the generals near relations were engaged in both
the war of the Revolution and that of 1812.
George Markle, a cousin, was in the
battle of Brandywine. Jacob Markle, a
brother of George, was in the naval service under
Commodore Barney, and was on board the "Hyder
Ally" at the capture of the "General
Monk." Barnet Markle, a cousin of
both Jacob and Gen. Markle, was also on board the
"Hyder Ally" on the same occasion, and was
wounded in the engagement. Joseph Roadarmel,
the uncle after whom he was named, was in the battle of
Long Island in August, 1776, was wounded, captured, taken
on board a prison-ship lying in the harbor of New York,
where he died of the wounds received in the battle. There
were four of Gen. Markles family connection in the
troop which he commanded in the war of 1812.
One of the first of Gaspard
Markles enterprises after his settlement
in Westmoreland County was the erection, in 1772,
of a grist-mill on Sewickley Creek, which
traversed his ancient homestead. Here was made
some of the first flour manufactured west of the
Alleghenies. It was transported in flat-boats by
Jacob Yoder, a citizen of Reading, in
Berks County, to the New Orleans market. This feat of the
enterprising Yoder was repeated five different times
subsequently by Gen. Markle. The services of his elder
brothers being required on the farm, at the early age of
thirteen, and for several years thereafter, the
duty of transporting from the Eastern cities the supply
of salt necessary for the family devolved on Joseph.
This was accomplished by pack-horses, and being through
an almost unbroken forest, with taverns or habitations of
any kind being "few and far between," the
dangers and hardships attending one of these journeys can
hardly be conceived by people of the present day.
His first trip to New
Orleans was made in 1799, followed by others in 1800,
1801, 1803, and 1809. From the first trip he returned by
what is called the wilderness route by way of Natchez,
Nashville, Lexington, Chillicothe, etc. From the vicinity
of Natchez to Nashville the route was by the Indian trail
through the Chickasaw nation of Indians, a distance of
about six hundred and fifty miles. In all this distance
there were no houses or white inhabitants, and the
traveler was compelled to camp out overnight. The
thrilling incidents attending such a journey, its narrow
escapes from the fording of rivers and attacks of
savages, would fill a volume in their description. From
the trip of 1800 Gen. Markle returned by sea, having
entered as a common sailor on board the ship
"Mars," Capt. George, owned by Tench Cox, of
Philadelphia. She carried seventeen guns, with
letters-of-marque, and was bound from New Orleans to
Philadelphia, where she arrived after a passage of
thirty-two or three days. From his other trips he also
returned by sea, but always as a passenger, his ambition
as a sailor being satisfied by the first experiment.
Previous to his first voyage his father had retired from
active business, and devoted the whole management of the
estate upon him. He farmed largely. In 1806 he
erected another large grist-mill, and in
1811 he formed a partnership with Simon Drum, of
Greensburg, and during that year erected a large
paper-mill, the third establishment of the kind
erected west of the Alleghenies. Mr. Drum residing at a
distance from the paper-mill, its entire superintendence
was added to his other duties. He was in the midst of
these various employments when the war of 1812
In May of that year, in
prospect of the war, he had raised from among his
neighbors a troop of cavalry, of which he was elected
captain. Their services were immediately
tendered to the President. The acceptance was a long
while delayed, but upon the surrender of Hull at Detroit
they received orders to join the Northwestern army. Upon
arriving with the troop at Pittsburgh, provisions which
had been promised were not forthcoming. In this exigency
Gen. Markle raised the necessary funds by giving his own
note, endorsed by his friends, William Fullerton, Major
Joshua Budd, and John Daily, payable at six months, of
$1250, which was discounted at the old bank at
Pittsburgh. This amount, together with $800 raised by
Quartermaster Capt. Wheaton, enabled him to go forward
with the troop. On their arrival at headquarters the
commander-in-chief assigned them the first rank in the
volunteer cavalry. Of the distinguished part which Gen.
Markle and his companions in arms bore in the service
which followed the following general orders issued by
Gen. Harrison at the termination of their term of service
"HEADQUARTERS, SENECA TOWN,
"16th August, 1813.
for which the troop of Light Dragoons commanded
by Capt. Markle was engaged being about to
expire, the commanding general directs that they
proceed to Franklinton for their baggage, and
that they be there discharged, or proceed
embodied to Pittsburgh before they are
discharged, as Capt. Markle may think proper. The
General (Harrison) returns Capt. Markle, his
subalterns, non-commissioned officers, and
soldiers, his thanks for their good conduct
whilst under his command. In the course of eleven
months service, in which they have
performed as much severe duty as any troops ever
did, the General has found as much reason to
applaud their steady and subordinate deportment
in camp as their coolness and valor when opposed
to the enemy, both of which were eminently
displayed at the battle of Mississinewa and at
the siege of Fort Meigs.
"A.H. HOLMES, Adjt. General.
"A true extract."
A short time after his
return from the army he was elected major-general
of Pennsylvania militia for the division
composed of the counties of Fayette and Westmoreland.
Upon his return home he
entered upon the duty of retrieving his private affairs,
which had greatly suffered during his absence. The dam of
his paper-mill had been swept away by an extraordinary
flood in the Sewickley. It was repaired, and the
manufacture of paper extensively carried on. He
supplied a great portion of Western Pennsylvania with
paper, and personally distributed large
quantities of it through Kentucky and Ohio. His farm,
too, in the meanwhile was cultivated with great industry
and vigor. His flour-mill was kept constantly employed.
He also kept a store, out of which the hands employed by
him were partly paid for their services. The profits of
the whole were no doubt very great, but the freedom with
which he lent his name to his friends ultimately
swallowed them up and left him deeply involved.
In 1829, in order to
relieve himself from the vexation consequent upon his
embarrassments, he transferred to two of his sons two
tracts of land containing over three hundred acres,
including the paper-mill, upon the condition of their
paying his responsibilities. This condition was
faithfully performed by the payment of every dollar for
which he was morally or legally bound. He retained the
ancient homestead of his father, and thenceforward
devoted himself to its cultivation, and from this source,
together with the proceeds of his flouring-mill, he
supported his family. The political principles of Gen.
Markle are sufficiently indicated by his votes cast for
President. His first vote was given for Mr. Jefferson. He
voted for Mr. Madison in 1808. Being in the army in 1812,
he did not vote. He voted for Mr. Monroe, was in favor of
Mr. Adams. In 1828 voted for Gen. Jackson, but became
estranged from him and the party in consequence of his
course in relation to the tariff from the first, and
always maintaining strong ground in favor of a protective
He was a stanch supporter
of his old commander-in-chief Gen. Harrison, and also of
Henry Clay, and indeed of every Whig and Republican
candidate for the Presidency to the time of his death.
With one exception (when nominated by his party as their
candidate for Governor, to which his assent to the use of
his name was given with great reluctance), he never was
with his own consent a candidate for any civil office,
though often urged to do so, and a number of times placed
upon the ticket against his earnest protest, on one
occasion as candidate for the Assembly, and on another
occasion in 1838 as a candidate for Congress, on both of
which occasions he electioneered against himself. He
lacked only about 4000 votes of an election at the time
he ran for Governor in 1844, when Mr. Clay lost the State
by over 8000 votes.
The general was a
great reader, and his memory, especially of
facts, dates, and numbers, was remarkable. His
hearty good humor, his great fund of information, united
with a vivacity of manner, made him excel in the social
circle. Perhaps the most prominent traits of his
character were his courage, honesty, hospitality,
and benevolence. A physician who practiced
several years in his neighborhood says he scarcely ever
visited a poor family in sickness where he did not find
that Gen. Markle had been in advance of him with a supply
of whatever was necessary to their comfort. Traveling
ministers of the gospel always found a welcome at his
board and fireside, and the poor were never turned away
without experiencing his kindness and liberality.
During the war of the
Rebellion, when Pennsylvania was threatened with an
invasion, the general, though eighty-four years of age,
promptly responded to the call, and was elected captain
of a company formed in the neighborhood for home
protection. He was for many years a member of the old
Sewickley Presbyterian Church.
The general [Joseph Markle] was twice married. His first wife was Elizabeth,
daughter of Judge Jacob Painter, whom he married
Jan. 18, 1805, and by her he had four children,
viz.: Shepard B., a resident of Rostraver
township; Mary E., widow of John Boyd, living in
West Newton; Elias R., died at the age
of fourteen, in 1818; and Gen. Cyrus P. (a sketch
of whom will be found in this volume) [see below]. His second wife was Elizabeth, daughter
of Col. Joseph Lloyd, of Westmoreland County, whom he
married Sept. 27, 1825. By this union there were
twelve children, seven of whom are living, viz.: Lafayette,
editor of the Nyack Chronicle, Rockland County,
N.Y.; Joseph and George W., owners and
occupants of the old homestead farm; Roxanna, wife
of Dr. William L. Miller, of Allegheny City; Sidnie,
wife of Robert Taylor, of West Newton; Margaret,
living with Mrs. Boyd at West Newton; and Hannah,
who died at the age of fifteen.
Painter Markle (1810-xxxx)
Son of Joseph Markle & Elizabeth
Grandson of Gaspard Markle & Mary Roadarmel;
Great-Grandson of John C. Markle & Jemima Weurtz;
Husband of Sarah Ann Lippincott;
Father of nine children.
Gen. Cyrus P.
Markle was born in the township of Sewickley,
county of Westmoreland, Pa., April 18, 1810, the third in
a family of four children of Gen. Joseph
and Elizabeth (Painter) Markle. (For
genealogy of family see biography in this volume of Gen.
Joseph Markle.) His education was limited to an
attendance at the common school. One of the most pleasing
incidents of his boyhood, and one remembered with no
little pride, was his meeting Gen. La Fayette
at Uniontown, Pa., and acting as one of his escort on
horseback from that place to the city of Pittsburgh. This
occurred when he was fourteen years old. Very early in
life he became actively employed in the business
enterprises carried on by his father, and foreshadowed in
the boy a capacity in the management of affairs which has
been a marked characteristic of the man.
In 1829, at the age of
nineteen, a partnership was formed with an elder brother,
Shepard B. Markle, under the firm-name
of S.B. and C.P. Markle, which
partnership continued for more than half a century. The
manufacture of paper was the business in which the firm
was chiefly employed, though farming was also quite
extensively carried on. Two tracts of land containing
over three hundred acres and the paper-mill at Millgrove
were deeded them by their father on condition of their
meeting certain pecuniary obligations for which he had
become liable by undersigning. These obligations were
eventually fully met by the firm.
~~ Engraved by A. H.
thirty years the firm continued in the manufacture of
paper at the "Millgrove" mill. In 1859, in
order to meet the increasing demand for their products,
and at the same time to avail themselves of better
facilities for transportation, they built a large
paper-mill (brick) at West Newton. At this mill paper
from rags was manufactured until 1865, when they erected
a straw pulp-mill (wood), and subsequently the production
of wood pulp was introduced.
In 1870, Mr. S.B.
Markle retired from the firm, since which time
the business has been carried on, largely extended, under
the firm name of "C.P. Markle &
Sons," the firm consisting of Gen.
C.P. Markle and his sons, Capt. C.C.
Markle and Shepard B. Markle, Jr.
In 1881 this firm built at West Newton another mill
(brick), designated "Mill B," fifty-three by
three hundred and twenty-nine feet, the largest and one
of the most complete in the State, and one into which
they have introduced all of the latest and most improved
machinery. These mills are situated on the bank of the
Youghiogheny River, between it and the Baltimore and Ohio
Railroad. (A representation of them appears on another
page of this volume.)
In 1880 the firm purchased
five thousand acres of coal and timber, land in Milford
township, Somerset County, Pa., and in 1881 built thereon
extensive wood-pulp works. The pulp-mill
is two hundred and fifty by eighty-three feet, the
evaporator one hundred and fifty by fifty feet. In
addition to the works, a station house, store, and
twenty-four dwelling-houses were built by them. The
place, named after the general, is named Markleton.
It is situated on the Castleman River, on the Baltimore
and Ohio Railroad. A better conception of the magnitude
of these works can be formed by a visit to them.
Something of an idea may be formed from the
representation of them on another page of this volume.
About twenty tons of
paper are manufactured from the pulp produced at their
Markleton and West Newton mills. While their mills at
West Newton are devoted exclusively to the manufacture of
printing paper, a very superior quality of hardware paper
is produced at the "Millgrove Mill." The firm
have their warehouse at 126 Second Avenue, Pittsburgh.***
While the manufacture of
paper has been the leading business of the general, he
has also been largely interested in the product of coke.
In 1871, in company with John Sherrick,
of Mount Pleasant, under the firm of "Sherrick
& Markle," he built on the Mount
Pleasant Branch of the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad the
"Eagle Coke-Works," one hundred ovens.
Sold his interest in these works in 1879 to H.
Clay Frick. In 1873 he purchased of Peter
Sherrick and William McMasters their farms, two
hundred and sixty acres, in East Huntingdon township,
near Mount Pleasant, and in company with the former firm,
Markle & Sherrick, erected on the Sherrick farm the "Rising
Sun" Coke-Works, one hundred ovens. On the
McMasters farm C.P. Markle & Sons
built the "Bessemer Coke-Works," one
hundred and fifty ovens. In connection with these works
about fifty tenant-houses were built, also about a mile
and a quarter of railroad, which is known in that section
as the "June Bug" Branch of the Baltimore and Mount
In company with Col.
Israel Painter, Gen. Larimer, Horatio Burrows,
and Gen. Haupt, Gen. Markle has operated
extensively in coal lands in the township of Sewickley.
To the original homestead tract of three hundred acres he
has added nine hundred acres adjoining in the townships
of Sewickley and South Huntingdon.
For a number of years the
general and his sons have taken interest in blooded
stock. Four of the finest
"Jerseys" in the country may be seen at their
stock-farm. Their yearly sales of stock run into the
In all the operations of C.P.
Markle & Co. about six hundred men are
employed. Owing to a partial stroke of paralysis, from
which he has never fully recovered, Gen. Markle
has for a number of years left the active conduct of the
business to his sons, by whom he is kept thoroughly
posted in regard to all operations, and who fully
appreciate the value of his advice and mature judgment in
all business matters. The general became very early in
life interested in the military, a taste undoubtedly
inherited from his father. At the age of fourteen he
became a member of the Sewickley Artillery Company,
afterwards its adjutant, and then captain. Still later he
was elected major and finally general of the Thirteenth
Legion Pennsylvania Militia, composed of the counties of
Washington, Fayette, and Westmoreland.
In politics he has been a
firm supporter of the principles of the Whig and
Republican parties, but, like his father before him, has
always been more ready to help a friend to office
than to accept official position himself.
Indeed, the successful conduct of his extensive business
interests, which have made him one of the busiest
men of his times, would have precluded his
entrance upon public life, even if he had entertained any
aspirations in that direction. He was interested in the
construction of the Pittsburgh and Connellsville
Railroad, and served as one of its directors. He was for
many years a member of the Sewickley Presbyterian Church,
but at the present time is a member of the church of the
same denomination at West Newton.
He married, May 5, 1835, Sarah
Ann, daughter of James and Margaret
Lippincott. Mrs. Markle was born June 12, 1814, at
Mount Pleasant, Westmoreland Co., Pa. Their children are
Margaret Ann and Mary
Elizabeth, twins, born Jan. 28, 1836. The former [Margaret Ann], widow of Thomas McMasters, residing at
Turtle Creek. She has one child, Rachel, wife of M.C.
Miller, Esq. Mary Elizabeth, died June 14,
Joseph L., born
Nov. 7, 1837, died July 4, 1843;
Jesse Henry, born
Jan. 8, 1839, died June 10, 1843;
Cassius C. Markle,
born Oct. 31, 1840;(4*) [ On Feb. 21, 1865, he married Mary A.
Overholt, daughter of Jacob S. and Mary
Shepard B. Markle, Jr.,
and Cyrus P., twins, born May 15, 1844(5*) (Cyrus
P. died Jan. 8, 1845);
Mary Emily, born
Sept. 7, 1846, wife of John M. Larimer, a merchant
at Turtle Creek. Two children living, viz., Cyrus P.
Markle [Larimer] and Thomas McMasters Markle [Larimer].
born Sept. 28, 1847, wife of A.O. Tintsman, living
at Turtle Creek. One son, Cyrus Painter Markle [Tinstman]. Amanda, born July 26, 1850, died Nov.
18, 1850; Winfield Scott, born Feb. 14, 1852, died
Mrs. Markle died Nov. 26,
1869. In the death of this most estimable woman the
family, her church, and indeed the entire community in
which she lived met with an irreparable loss. She
possessed in large measure all the rare qualities which
characterize the devoted wife and mother and the truly
Christian woman. In the home and social circle
she was easily a leader, and she was a helpmeet indeed in
the dispensation of a hospitality for which the Markle
home has always been distinguished a hospitality without
stint, extended to the stranger equally with
relatives and friends.
fair dealing have been the marked characteristics of Gen.
Markle in the conduct of his business affairs. A
contract once made has always been to him a sacred matter,
something to be fulfilled and not shirked, though its
fulfillment, as sometimes has happened to him, might
entail large loss; but in the long run his successes have
abundantly proven the truth of the old adage,
"Honesty is the best policy." Though
he has uniformly declined official position, few men have
exerted a wider personal influence in local and State
politics. Men whose candidacy he approved and measures
which he favored have always found in him a powerful
ally. The Union cause in the late war had no more ardent
supporter. Relying upon his discretion and good judgment
in all business affairs, his counsel and advice have been
frequently sought after by his neighbors and friends. In
the development of the material resources of his locality
and the advancement of all interests which look to the
betterment of society it would be difficult to find one
who has exerted a more commanding influence.
of Allegheny County, Pennsylvania: Personal and
Genealogical, Vol. 2; Northwestern Historical
Association (1904); p. 240; an article about Abraham
Mr. Tinstman was married,
July 1, 1875, to Harriet Cornelia,
daughter of Gen. C. P. [Cyrus Painter Markle] and Sarah (Lippincot) Markle,
of Westmoreland county, Pa., and has one son, Cyrus
Painter Tinstman], who has
completed the civil engineering course at the
Pennsylvania military college, at Chester, Pa. Mr.
Tinstman and family have lived in Turtle Creek since the
erection of their beautiful home there in 1879. The site
of a pioneer cabin, long since gone to decay, and the
home of a Mrs Myers, who gave food and
shelter to George Washington, are on the
of Fayette County, by Franklin Ellis; L. H. Everts
& Co., Philadelphia; 1882; an article about Abraham
On July 1, 1875, Mr.
Tinstman married Miss Harriet Cornelia Markle,
youngest daughter of Gen. Cyrus P. Markle and
Sarah Ann Markle (whose maiden name was Sarah
Ann Lippincott) of Mill Grove, Westmoreland Co.,
Pa. He has one son, named Cyrus Painter Markle
Shepard B. Markle, Jr.
Son of Cyrus Painter Markle & Sarah
Grandson of Joseph Markle & Elizabeth
Great-Grandson of Gaspard Markle & Mary Roadarmel;
G-G-Grandson of John C. Markle & Jemima Weurtz;
Husband of Isabella Carothers;
Father of five children.
SHEPARD B. MARKLE,
JR., youngest son living of Gen. C. P.
and Sarah (Lippincott) Markle, was born
at Millgrove, Sewickley township, Westmoreland County,
Pa., May 15, 1844 [d. May 5, 1900]. He was twin-brother to Cyrus
P., who died Jan. 8, 1845. From a fall, which
happened when about eighteen months old, and which
affected the left limb, he was rendered a cripple for
life. Many of the most eminent physicians of the country
were consulted without favorable results. Finally
horseback riding and "plenty of it" was advised
by Dr. Pancoast, of Philadelphia, as the means most
likely to bring relief. The sequel proved the wisdom of
the doctors advice, for, though no permanent cure
was possible in the case, he continued to gain daily in
strength, and his ability to discharge these many years
the varied duties devolving upon an exceedingly busy man
is attributed almost solely by Mr. Markle to the benefit
he derived from horseback riding.
Markle and his horse became, if not one, at
least almost inseparable. The varied business interests
of his father, in which he began early in life to
participate, gave him ample scope for his favorite
exercise. An average of from twenty-five to thirty miles
per day for many years is no exaggeration of the extent
of his riding.
for this exercise, together with the important part he
was thus enabled early to take in his fathers
business matters, quite precluded the idea of his
entering upon any extended course of study, and in
consequence his education was limited to an attendance at
the neighborhood district school and a select school at
In 1870 he became
associated with his father and brother, Capt.
C.C. Markle, under the firm "C.P.
Markle & Sons," in the manufacture of
paper, the production of coke, raising of stock, and
farming generally. He has given special attention to the
stock department. In 1876 he purchased twelve head of
registered Jerseys at Philadelphia, the first introduced
into Westmoreland County, since which time the operations
of the firm in that line, managed principally by Shepard
B., have been very extensive, involving many
thousands of dollars yearly. For the last five or six
years he has been obliged to discontinue his horseback
riding, having become too stout to use his
favorite mode of conveyance with any comfort to himself
or horse. Few men of soundest body, however, ride more
miles in the day, or accomplish more in the execution of
business. Rain or shine, cold or hot, a man may "set
his watch" by the promptness and regularity with
which he may be statedly seen with his carriage at his
usual places of business.
In politics he is a
Republican, and though he has neither sought nor desired
office, no man in the locality is more liberal of his
time and money in forwarding the interests of the party.
He married, June 11, 1874,
Isabella, daughter of James P.
and Jane K. (Moore) Carothers. Mrs.
Markle was born in South Huntingdon township,
Westmoreland County, Pa., Oct. 18, 1852. She is the
great-granddaughter of the Rev. James Power,
one of the pioneer ministers of the Presbyterian Church
in Western Pennsylvania. It is not too much to say that
the Markle home at "Millgrove," always
proverbial for its unstinted hospitality, has lost
nothing of its prestige in this respect since Mrs. Markle
became its presiding genius. Mr. and Mrs. Markle have
children, as follows: Sarah Ann, born
June 5, 1875; Jane C., born Jan. 29,
1877; Maggie McMasters, born Dec. 30,
1878; Mary Emily, born Feb. 23, 1880;
and Cyrus Painter, born April 7, 1882.
This is genealogical information about the other
Shepherd Brown Markle (notice the
different spelling of the first name), brother of Gen.
Cyrus P. Markle. The following is taken from the
Charlotte Kaye Butler family tree, using her notation
system, which begins with 1 Heinrich Merklin
b: 1435 in Prussia, Germany.
Brown Markle (1805-1882)
11 Shepherd Brown Markle
b: 03 Nov 1805 in Westmoreland County, PA d: 14
May 1882 Westmoreland County
+ Hannah Lobinger b: 20 Aug 1806
in Pennsylvania m: 23 Apr 1829 Westmoreland
........... 12 Elizabeth Painter Markle
b: 15 Sep 1830
........... 12 Benjamin Franklin Markle
b: 20 Jul 1833
........... 12 John L. Markle b:
........... 12 Joseph C. Markle
b: 05 Apr 1838
........... 12 Henry Harrison Markle
........... 12 Sarah Brown Markle
b: 17 Dec 1842
........... 12 David P. Markle
b: 15 Jul 1845
........... 12 Katherine Lobingier Markle
Clay Markle (b.1840)
Son of Cyrus Painter Markle
& Sarah Ann Lippincott;
Grandson of Joseph Markle & Elizabeth
Great-Grandson of Gaspard Markle &
G-G-Grandson of John C. Markle & Jemima Weurtz;
Husband of Mary Anne Overholt (b. 1846);
Son-in-law of Jacob Stauffer Overholt (son of
Abraham Overholt & Maria Stauffer) & Mary Fox;
Father of six children.
Capt. C.C. Markle
was born at Millgrove, Sewickley township, Westmoreland
County, Pa., Oct. 31, 1840, the fifth child of Gen.
C.P. and Sarah A. (Lippincott) Markle.
He received his primary and academic education in the
district school of his native place, at Turtle Creek and
Mount Pleasant Academy. He took a business course of
study at the Iron City College, Pittsburgh.
He entered the army Aug.
25, 1861, as second lieutenant Co. E, 105th Regt. P.V.I.,
Col. McKingly, of Brookeville,
commanding; was promoted to first lieutenant, and
afterwards to the captaincy of the company. He was
appointed and served as provost-marshal under Gen.
Birney, and subsequently was appointed
inspector-general of forts north of the Potomac, first
under Gen. Hoskin, and afterwards under Gen.
Hardin, and occupied that position at the time
of the expiration of his three years term of
enlistment. He was honorably discharged Sept. 3, 1864.
return from the army he became actively employed in the
business enterprises of C.P. Markle & Co.,
and upon the dissolution of that firm became a partner in
the firm of C.P. Markle & Sons, and
since the retirement from that position of his father, Gen.
C.P. Markle, the management of their extensive,
paper- and coke-works has devolved chiefly upon him. He
married Feb. 21, 1865, Mary A., daughter
of Jacob S. and Mary (Fox)
Overholt. Mrs. Markle was born in Mount Pleasant
township, Westmoreland County, July 1, 1846. Their
children are Cyrus P., born Feb. 12,
1866; Thomas McMasters, born Feb. 25,
1868; Mary O., born Sept. 13, 1870; Sarah
Bessie, born Feb. 2, 1873, died Nov. 27, 1874; Jessie
Benton, born May 25, 1875; and Margaret
Z., born March 8, 1878.
Genealogical Record of the Descendants of Martin
Oberholtzer, by A. J. Fretz, 1903; pp.116-118]
V. Mary Anne
Overholt, b July 1, 1846; m Capt.
Cassius Clay Markle Feb 21, 1865. P O West
Newton, Pa. Mr. Markle enlisted Aug 25, 1861, as Second
Lieutenant in Co., E. 105th, Reg't., P. V. I. He was
promoted to First Lieut., and at the second battle of
Bull Run was promoted Captain of his Co. He was appointed
and served as Provost Marshal under Gen. Birney, and
subsequently was appointed Inspector General of Fort
North of the Potomac, first under Gen. Hoskin and later
under Gen. Harden, and occupied that position at the
expiration of this three years term of enlistment. He was
honorably discharged Sept 3, 1864. Upon his return from
the army he became actively engaged in the paper and coke
manufactory; now retired. C: Cyrus, Thomas,
Mary, Sarah, Jessie,
VI. Cyrus Painter
Markle, b Feb 12, 1866; m Margaret C. Rholand
Oct 10, 1899. P O Greensburg, Pa. Clerk in Register and
Recorders office. He served through the campaign in
Manilla, on the firing line 70 days with the 10th, Penna,
Reg't. Mr. M. Presby. Mrs. M. Baptist. C: (VII)
Mary Jane Markle, b May 24, 1900.
VI. Thomas M. Markle, b Feb 25, 1868; m Ida
Landsperger Sept 6, 1899. P O West Newton, Pa. Lumberman.
Mr. M. Presby. Mrs. M. Luth. C: (VII) J. Webster
O. Markle, b May 10, 1900.
VI. Mary O. Markle, b Sept 13, 1870; m
James W. Shupe Oct 25, 1892. P O Mt. Pleasant, Pa. Supt.
Electric Light, Heat & Power Co. Presby. No issue.
VI. Sarah B. Markle, b Feb 2, 1873.
VI. Jessie B. Markle, b Mary 25, 1875; m
Theodore Hawley Oct 19, 1893. Supt. Continental Paper Bag
Co., Rumford Falls, Maine. Mr. H. Catholic, Mrs. H.
Presby. C: (VII) Eleanor Hawley, b Aug
25, 1894. Dorothy F. Hawley, b Aug 28,
VI. Margaret Z. Markle, b Mar 8, 1878; m
Frank Watterson Jackson Aug 16, 1898. P O Mt. Pleasant,
Pa. He was born in Fayette Co, Pa., in 1874. He received
his education in the Mt. Pleasant, Pa, Classical and
Scientific Institute, from which he graduated in 1891
with honors, besides winning the H. K. Porter prize of
$300, offered for the one best prepared for College. He
then went to Bucknell University, from which he graduated
with the degree of A.B., in 1895, and then went to
Chicago University for some time. He has for the past
five years been Professor of Greek in the Western Penna.
Institute, Mt. Pleasant, Pa. In the spring of 1901, he
was appointed by the President, consul to patron Greece.
Mr. J. Baptist. Mrs. J. Presby. C: (VII) Marian
M. Jackson, b Aug 15, 1899.
[History of the County of
Westmoreland, by George D. Albert; L. H. Everts &
Co., Philadelphia; 1882. ]
CEMETERY is eligibly situated on the south side
of Big Sewickley Creek, on the original homestead of Gaspard
Markle, and near the old block-house [which is no longer standing], the refuge of all the settlers during the
Indian incursions. In it [as of 1882] lie the
Gen. Joseph Markle, died March 15, 1867,
aged 90 years and 1 month; his first wife, Elizabeth,
died Dec. 6, 1816;
his second wife, Elizabeth, died
Dec. 30, 1868.
- Jacob Markle, born April 13, 1786,
died July 22, 1864; his wife, Catharine,
born Nov. 24, 1791, died July 29, 1845.
- Sarah A., wife of Gen. Cyrus P.
Markle, died Nov. 26, 1868, aged 54.
- Sarah, daughter of Gasper and Polly
Markle, died July 6, 1820, aged 1 year, 10
mouths, and 8 days.
- David Markle, died Aug. 16, 1828, aged
- Hannah Markle, died July 30, 1865,
- Andrew F. Thompson, died April 20,
1825, aged 34.
- William Boss, died May 25, 1881, aged
- James P. Carothers, died Feb. 5, 1877,
- Jane, wife of Henry Lewis, died April
1, 1877, aged 70.
- Catharine, wife of Jacob Painter, died
Jan. 10, 1856, aged 84.
cemetery, on the lands of Gen. Joseph Markle, was
the site of old-time musters and militia trainings, and
the great resort for public and political meetings.
"Mill Grove," the Markle seat, was the great
centre of all public assemblages of people, who came for
miles around, as the most accessible point for meeting.
Old Markle Blockhouse .............................Joseph Markle Obilisk
Detail of Markle Farm................Cyrus Painter Markle
& Anna Miller Markle Headstone
The original photographs
can be found at Linda Mae Brown's web site.
My research online brought
to light several Markle family trees. Regarding the three
marriages of Johann Christian Merklin,
Charlotte Kaye Butler's compilation gives the following
data: m.1 Anna Catherina Bruckner (nine
children, including Casper "Gaspard"
Markle); m.2 Eva Kelchner (no children);
and m.3 Jemima Weurtz (no children).
However, a family tree by
Linda Mae Brown includes this note:
Burton D. Munhall,
17533 Fairlawn Drive, Chagrin Falls, OH 44022 states Johann
Christian Merkel fled to Amsterdam, Holland from
Alsace-Lorraine section of Merzig on the Rhine, near
Metz, to avoid religious persecution after the revocation
of the Edict of Nantes which occurred 18 October 1685.
His first wife was Jemima Weurtz, sister
of the noted Admiral Weurtz of the Dutch
Navy. He first came to America in 1703, apparently with
Jemima Weurtz. No record of any children. There is
speculation that says Jemima Weurtz was the mother of all
his children, however, other sources claim he returned to
Holland where he married Catharina Brucker
and had their first two children before returning to
America on the ship Phoenix on either 19 April
1718 or 19 April 1719. For the time being I [i.e., Linda Mae Brown] will list the children as being from his first
marriage. This needs to be investigated in more depth.
Merkel settled in Salem (Moselem) Springs,
Philadelphia Co., later Berks Co., PA where he was a
farmer, blacksmith and coach-maker. His will was dated 25
Apr 1749 & proved 22 May 1766. J. V. Thompson
Journals vol. 1, p. 123 (Will of Christian
Merckel), 180-181; vol. 2, p. 328; vol. 21, p.
318. Other records show that Catherina Bruckner was
the mother of all his children.
Butler's Web Site
Brown's Web Site
Using this material, RE:
"Gaspard" Casper Markle (b. 1730):
With first wife, Elizabeth
Grimm (1732-1776), he had eight children:
Magdalena Markle (1751-1853), m. John Neyman; Anna
Roslina Markle (1756-1839), m. Sebastian
Burgett; Catherine Eliza Markle
(1757-1836), m. Jacob Whitesell; George G. Markle
(1761-1850), m.1 Barbara Kaultesure, m.2 Mary Deere
Kaultleasure; Abraham G. (Col.) Markle
(1762-1841), m. Rachel Blackburn; Ester G. Markle
(1766-1827), m. George Ament; Daniel G. Markle
(1771-1868); Elizabeth G. Markle (b.
1773), m. George DeCamp.
With his second wife, Mary
S. Roedermel (1753-1776), "Gaspard"
had eleven children: (General) Joseph
Markle (1777-1867), m.1 (1805) Elizabeth
"Betsy" Painter, m.2 Eliz Lloyd; Gaspar
Markle (1790-1881), m. Mary "Polly"
Lobingier; Susanna Markle (1779-1850),
m. Charles J. Scholl; John Markle (1782-1831),
m. Elizabeth Jack; Hanna Markle (1784-1864);
Sarah Solomon Markle (1785-1797); Jacob
Markle (1786-1864), m. Catharine Painter; Salome
Markle (1787-1848), m. Samuel Oliver; Mary
Markle (1788-1873), m. William Miller; Leah
Markle (1793-1825), m.1 [-?-] Findley, m.2
Andrew Finley Thompson; David Markle (1796-1828),
m. Maria Cowan.
Joseph Markle (1777-1867):
With his first wife, m.1
(1805) Elizabeth "Betsy" Painter
(1782-1815), he had thirteen children: Shepherd
Brown Markle (1805-1882), m. Hannah Lobinger; Elias
Rodermel Markle (b. 1807); Cyrus Painter
Markle (b. 1810), m. Sarah Ann Lippincott [their daughter Harriet Cornelia
Markle m. Abraham Overholt Tinstman];
Mary E. Markle (b. 1812); Layfette
Markle; Joseph Markle
(b.abt.1815); Infant Markle; Roxanna
Markle; Sidney Markle; Ariadne
Markle; Hannah Markle;
George Washington Markle; Margaret Lloyd
(1) History of the
County of Westmoreland, Pennsylvania, edited by
George Dallas Albert; L. H. Everts & Co.,
(2) History of Fayette County, by Franklin
Ellis; L. H. Everts & Co., Philadelphia; 1882.
(3) A Genealogical Record of the Descendants of
Martin Oberholtzer, by Rev. A. J. Fretz; Press of
The Evergreen News, Milton, New Jersey; 1903.
(4) Along the Banks of Jacobs Creek, compiled by
Winifred Paul, Mennonite Publishing House, Scottdale, PA.
(5) The Oberholtzer Book: A Foundation Book of
Oberholtzer Immigrants and Unestablished Lines,
compiled & edited by Barbara B. Ford, The Overholser
Family Association, Wallingford, PA.
(6) Charlotte Kaye Butler's Web Site: http://kid4ever.tripod.com/index.html
(7) Linda Mae Brown's Web Site: http://mypeoplepc.com/members/tylinn/mymarkelfamilysite/index.html
(8) John Pritiskutch Reproductions Web Site: http://www.anthracitemaps.com/