Sons & Grandsons of
Westmoreland County, Part 2
& Edited by K. R. Overholt Critchfield, © 1-1-2007
~~ Updated 7-31-07 ~~
Son of Daniel Dillinger &
Son-in-law of Peter Loucks & Anna Overholt (daughter
of Henry Oberholtzer & Anna Beitler);
Husband of Sarah Loucks;
Father of nine children.
of the County of Westmoreland, Pennsylvania, edited
by George Dallas Albert (1882); pp. 686-687.]
THE DILLINGER FAMILY -
was born, Aug. 6, 1787, in the east part of the State,
and came to this county at an early period, settling at Bethany,
on the farm now owned by his son Samuel, and
occupied by Moses Hickson. He died Feb.
9, 1845, aged fifty-seven years, and his wife (Mary
Myers) June 19, 1871, aged eighty-one. She was
born in Lancaster County. Their children were Daniel,
Christian, Joseph, Jacob,
Samuel, Daniel, Abraham,
Elizabeth, married to Alexander
Myers; Sarah, to Michael
Sheetz; and Mary, first to John
McCollum, and afterwards to John
Of these Samuel
Dillinger was born Oct. 28, 1810, and married Sarah
Loucks, born in 1808. He moved to his home farm in
1832, before which, after his marriage, he lived near
Scottdale. Their children were: Annie,
married to Joseph Hickson, and deceased;
Mary, married to Abraham
Sherrick; Catharine, married to
Moses Hickson; Sarah,
married to J.C. Fox; John L.,
married to Mary McIntyre; Elizabeth,
married to C.T. Hanna; Eliza,
married to A.A. Hasson; Daniel
L.; Samuel L., married to Katie
Samuel Dillinger started a small still on his farm in
1851, and in 1852 erected a frame
distillery at Old Bethany (West Bethany
post-office), to which in 1856 he added a grist-mill,
which was operated until 1881, when destroyed by fire. The
same Mr. Dillinger, with his two sons, Daniel L. and
Samuel, erected a new three-story frame distillery at
Bethany Station, and began distilling in March, 1882.
~~ Engraved by Samuel
Sartain. Phil. ~~
The Old Homestead Farm & Residence of
Residence of Daniel L. Dillinger
Flouring Mill & Distillery of S. Dillinger & Sons
West Bethany, Westmoreland County, PA
The firm of S. Dillinger & Sons
manufacture pure rye whiskey, the only rye distillery now
in operation in the township. It has a capacity for
two hundred bushels a day. Its market is Pittsburgh and
the East. All its grain is purchased in the West. Mr.
Dillinger owns nearly a thousand acres of land in the
township, half of which is full of undeveloped coal. They
have at Tarrs Station sixty-four coke-ovens, and
fifty-one at Hawkeye Station. The former were
erected in 1879, and the latter in 1871. This firm does a
very extensive business in its distillery,
coke-ovens, and flour trade.
Bethany Station is
a growing village that arose nearly three years ago on
the Dillingers establishing their coke-ovens, and is fast
increasing in population and business. It lies a
mile and a half northeast of Old Bethany and a mile
northwest of Tarrs Station. The Dillinger family
is excelled by no other in the northern part of the
township in amount of business done, and has ever been
specially active in the cause of education, several of
the best school-houses being built through the persistent
energy of Samuel Dillinger, Sr. He was one of the
projectors of the South Penn Railroad in
1870 and 1871, at which time he and his sons had seventy
coke-ovens in Fayette County, at Pennsville, now owned by
A.O. Tinstman, who purchased them in 1881. They
employ at their two coke-works over a
of the County of Westmoreland, Pennsylvania, edited
by George Dallas Albert (1882); p. 688]
In the early part of the
present century Samuel Dillinger, of whose family
a genealogical sketch appears elsewhere in this volume,
began his life-work, with no capital save a strong body,
a stout heart, and willing hands. To any one who gazes
upon his broad acres and busy manufacturing
establishments today his success is manifest. Indeed, no
one embodying his characteristics could fail. Owing to
the fact that it was necessary for him to devote his
youthful days to manual labor, his early education was
very limited. This deficiency he supplied by diligent
study during the spare moments of after-years.
business education is of the very best, and was obtained
from the business world by careful study of business men.
While he has labored diligently to promote his individual
interests, he has not been unmindful of his duties as a
citizen. He has always taken a proper interest in
politics, and has held the local offices usually
intrusted to business men. The free-school system has
ever found in him a true friend and liberal supporter. He
has always taken an active interest in whatever
contributed to increase the industries or develop the
resources of the country. Benevolent and hospitable, the
poor have always resorted to him confidently in their
time of need.
His life has been
one of usefulness, and commands the respect of those who
know him. Although he has passed the allotted
time of threescore and ten years, he is still vigorous in
health, and enjoys the results of his years of toil,
having committed the management of his large business
interest to his sons. May 19, 1881, he and his wife, Sarah
(Loucks) Dillinger, who has contributed so largely to
her husbands success by saving his earnings and
making his home comfortable and happy, celebrated their
golden wedding. Here were assembled their children and
numerous grandchildren, together with the few who remain
of the happy company which met more than half a century
ago to bid them Godspeed through their wedded life. Both
Mr. Dillinger and his wife possess many of the virtues of
the sturdy race from which they sprang.
See more about Samuel Dillinger in my feature, The Overholt-Dillinger
of the County of Westmoreland, George D. Albert
(1882), pp. 679-694.]
EAST HUNTINGDON TOWNSHIP
TOWNSHIP was organized by a subdivision of the
original Huntingdon township, being taken from South
Huntingdon in 1798.* It is bounded north by Hempfield,**
east by Mount Pleasant, south by a part of Fayette
County, and west by South Huntingdon. The township has a
varied surface, and one continuous substratum of
The first settlers in the
township were Scotch-Irish from the eastern and northern
counties of the State, among whom were John Vance,
for many years a magistrate, William and
Frank Vance, the Fosters, Barrs,
Cochrans, McClains, and
From 1790 to 1800
a heavy immigration of Germans and Mennonites,
the latter including some of Swiss birth, came,
and these thrifty men fresh from the eastern part of the
State, and all possessed of considerable means for those
days, bought nearly all the lands occupied by the
Scotch-Irish, and entered other tracts not then taken up.
This last class were most settled between Stonersville
and the Fayette County line. The Mennonites
purchased about twenty-five thousand acres in this and
other townships, their principal settlement being in and
about Stonersville. They were from Chester, Bucks,
Lancaster, Bedford, and Northumberland Counties. Among
their leading men who located in East Huntingdon were Henry
Overholt, Rev. David Funk, the Stauffers,
Weltys, Peter Dillinger, Strohms,
Loucks, the Mumaws, Christian
Stoner, the Tinmans [sic - Tinstman], Fretts [Fretz], and Foxes. The German
Lutheran and Reformed settlers mostly located in the
northwest part of the township. Among them were Mark
Leighty, Henry Lowe,
Henry Null, Joseph Suter, Nicholas
Swope (for many years a justice of the peace),
the Aultmans, Klines, Harbaughs,
Ruffs, Snyders, and Hunkers.
Flouring Mill of J.R. & A. K. Stauffer
Tyrone Township, Fayette County, PA
family is one of the oldest in the township, and
from it was given the name of "Stauffers
Run," a stream rising above Stonersville
and running south, emptying into Jacobs Creek at
Scottdale. Abraham Stauffer came from Bucks
County, and first settled near Scottdale, on the Fayette
County side. His wife was a Miss Nisley,
of Lebanon County (then Lancaster). Their son Abraham
married Elizabeth Myers. The former died
July 9, 1851, and the latter Nov. 11, 1878, aged
ninety-five years, eleven months, and six days. They had
three sons and three daughters, the latter being Mrs.
Martin Loucks, Mary, married to
Jacob Tinsman [sic - Tinstman], and Elizabeth, married to Jacob
Among the earliest
settlers near Scottdale were the Sterretts,
a very influential family, a descendant of whom, John
Sterrett, a prominent farmer, resides on his
elegant farm a mile southwest of Scottdale. His
grandfather was a cousin of Daniel Boone,
and when the latter was removing to North Carolina (from
which he was the first white man to penetrate into
Kentucky) he passed through this region, and passed
several days visiting his kinsmen, the Sterretts, at
their new cabin home here.
EARLY SCHOOLS AND TEACHERS.
The early school-houses of
East Huntingdon township were similar to those of other
localities in the county, being built of rude logs, and
having other appliances to correspond. One of the
earliest houses known was built on the farm now owned by Joshua
Gant, another was located on the farm now owned
by Jacob Leighty. It was built in 1802,
and taught by a German named Leighty,
who always opened his school with singing and prayer, a
practice which has been continued in some localities of
this township up to the present time. Some of the early
teachers were John Selby, Peter
Showalter, A. St. Clair, John
Baughtencarges, and others. Early action was
taken in this township in regard to the acceptance of the
free-school system. At an election held at the house of Peter
Pool, Sept. 19, 1834, the following persons were
elected school directors, viz.: Jacob Tinsman [sic] and Jacob
Overholt, to serve until the next election in March; Solomon
Luter and Peter Pool, for two
years; Gasper Tarr and Henry
Fretts, to serve for three years. This same set
of directors met at the house of Christian Fox,
Oct. 6, 1834, and after organizing appointed Jacob
Tinsman [sic] as delegate, to meet other delegates in
Greensburg the first Tuesday in November following, to
perform such duties as were enjoined upon them by law to
establish a general system of education. Agreeably to the
time appointed by the general delegates at Greensburg, an
election was held at the house of Peter Pool,
May 21, 1836, in order to take the vote of the citizens
whether there should be a tax levied or not; the result
of said election was seventy-four voting no tax and two
How the schools were kept
open from 1834 to 1837 we have been unable to learn. We
find, however, that directors were elected each year,
viz.: Jacob Tinsman [sic] and Jacob
Overholt, re-elected in 1835; John Stoner
and A. Overholt, elected in 1836; and William
McMaster and J. Fulkerth, in
1837. After this we find another election was ordered to
take the voice of the citizens whether the schools should
be continued or not. Said election was held at the house
of Peter Pool, on the first Tuesday of
May, 1837, fifty-six voting no school and thirty-four
voting school. The law required that in order to defeat
the system a majority of the citizens in the district
must vote against it, and fifty-six not being that
majority, the system was declared adopted.
Soon after this the
directors began to sub-district the township and erect
houses. In a few years after this the system began to
gain favor, and at present in educational matters it is
considered one of the foremost townships in the county.
It has been extremely fortunate in always having good
directors, who ever aimed to employ first-class teachers,
and herein lies the cause of success in East Huntingdon.
Blackboards were brought prominently into use in 1853.
District institutes were organized in 1857, and have
continued to be a leading feature of its schools ever
Among the prominent
directors since 1840 were J.B. Sherrick, H.W.
Stoner, S. Dillinger, H.S. Overholt, Maj.
R. Warden, S. Warden, D.
Snyder, and many other good names. Among the
principal teachers have been J.B.R. Sherrick, D.
McGinnis, John Sample, William
Foster, John Harrold, etc. At a
later date there have been as directors, J.S. Fretts,
J.B. Stoner, J.S. Warden, John
Sillaman, B. Hurst, H.R.
Fox, and others; and teachers, J.D. Cope,
P. Loucks, J. Sillaman, J.
Chamberlain, J.H. Bryan, W.H.
Note: Here are a series of different articles
lifted from the extensive material found in the East
Huntingdon Township section. Mostly, I have chosen those
that mention members of the Extended Overholt Family. My
ambition has been to show something of the way of life,
the interests and concerns of the people in the social
context, as well as the "interests" and
"concerns" of the people as pertains to their
business enterprises. These two words appear to have been
used mostly in terms of business in the old history
books, so when the author writes that a man was
"interested" in an industry, it probably meant
he had invested money in it. With the following accounts
(all puns intended!), it is easy to see that the people
experiencing the 19th century in Western Pennsylvania
were busy with a multitude of social concerns, but they
were furiously busy with the heady
"concerns" of business.
CREEK METHODIST EPISCOPAL CHURCH was organised
with nineteen members in 1817, and its old log church
erected the same year, and at that time was the only
meeting-house of this denomination in all this region.
Its present brick edifice was built during the late war,
and is on the site of the old church, three-fourths of a
mile southwest of Scottdale. It has the same pastor as
the latter. Its trustees are John Keiser,
Daniel Fretz, John Kell, Jacob Hall, and J.D.
Porter, Sunday-school superintendent.
EPISCOPAL CHURCH (SCOTTDALE). The congregation
was organized in 1875, under the auspices of Rev. A.P.
Leonard, of Jacobs Creek Church, three-fourths of a mile
distant, southwest, of which it is the offspring. The
pastors have been: 187577, A.P. Leonard;
187779, B.T. Thomas; 187982, D.N. Stafford.
The latter was born in Tuscarawas County, Ohio, educated
at Scio College, Harrison County, in that State, and has
been seven years in the ministry. Up to the building of
the present church services were held in rented churches
and tabernacles. Its edifice, an elegant brick, two-story
structure, sixty-two by forty-two feet, was erected in
1881. The first service was held therein November 27th of
that year, and it was dedicated on December 18th
following, when Rev. Samuel Wakefield, aged eighty-five
years, preached the sermon. Its vestibule is eleven feet
square and its tower one hundred and five feet high. Its
architect was Peter S. Loucks. It is a station
connected with Jacobs Creek Church. The trustees are Dr.
A.W. Strickler, Thomas Tennant, James Jones, Peter
Campbell, J.W. Wiley; and Sunday-school superintendent,
Clark Grazier. Its membership is one hundred. It is the
second and the Presbyterian the first brick church
erected in the borough.
BRETHREN IN CHRIST (SCOTTDALE). This
congregation was organized in 1874, and its neat frame
edifice erected the, same year. Its pastors have been:,
187476, W.A. Jackson; 1876, Joseph Metzgar; 1877,
David Speck; 1878, Martin O. Lane; 187982, Isaiah
Potter. He also preaches at Walnut, Fayette. Co., Barren
Run, at South Huntingdon township, and at Mount Nebo
church, two miles northwest of Scottdale. The membership
is fifty. The church officials are: Trustees, Albert
Keister, Nathaniel King, Joseph Herbert; Class-leader,
David Metzgar; Assistant, Peter Sherrick; Steward,
Nathaniel King; and Sunday-school Superintendent, Jacob
MENNONITE CHURCH AND CEMETERY (STONERSVILLE).
The first church building was a log structure, built in
1800, on the extreme lower corner of the graveyard. In
1840 it was replaced by the present substantial brick
edifice. The first pastors were Revs. David Funk,
Stauffer, and Welty, after whom
were Henry Yetter, John Overholt, and Martin
Loucks. For a good many years it has had no regular
pastors, but has been supplied occasionally by ministers
from a distance, perhaps as often as once a month. The
membership is now quite small, as in the past two decades
many have connected themselves with the Church of God and
the United Brethren in Christ. The cemetery is now
controlled by the Mennonite Cemetery Association,
organized a few years ago.
"Mennonists" section comes from History of
the County of Westmoreland, pp. 233-279.]
THE MENNONISTS THEIR
SETTLEMENT IN THE COUNTY.
Church is one of the fragments into which the
mother-church of Rome was shivered by reforming hands in
the Middle Ages, and is accordingly one of the many
Protestant sects. The founder of the Mennonite
more preferably "Mennonist" sect was Menno
Simon, who was in Friesland in 1495 or 96,
three years after the discovery of America by Columbus.
He was contemporary with Luther,
Zwinglius, Bucer, Calvin,
Bullinger, and Melancthon.
His doctrines were accepted by great numbers, who became
persecuted, and largely dispersed into Prussia, Poland,
Denmark, Holland, and Russia. In 1683 a number of
Mennonist families came to America and settled in and
about Germantown (now Philadelphia), and at
subsequent times other bodies of them came and located
near the original settlement. In 1736 five
hundred settled in Lancaster County, and from
this region they gradually dispersed into various States.
In the last part of the eighteenth century the
first Mennonist families settled in Westmoreland County,
and as years rolled by its settlement received several
additions from the Eastern hives. With an eye to plenty
and prosperity, the Mennonist pioneers settled in East
Huntingdon township, one of the most beautiful
and fertile sections of the county, at the same time one
rich in minerals. In the same valley, but across Jacobs
Creek and in Fayette County, another settlement of
Mennonists came. To this settlement came principally
Lancaster County families, while to West Overton
came generally families from Bucks County.
Among the subscribers to
"The Christian Confession of Faith," published
at Philadelphia in 1727, occur the surnames Kolb,
Ziegler, Gorgas, Conerads,
Hirchi, Bear, Bowman,
These surnames are to be found in Westmoreland, with such
phonetic changes as point unmistakably to their
derivation from the former. Thus Kolb
has become Culp and Gulp;
Ziegler, Zigler; Conerad,
Coonrad; Hirchi, Harshey
and Hershey; Langenecker,
Longnecker. In other documents occur the
surnames Oberholtzer, now Oberholt;
Kendigs, now Kintig;
Miller, Funk, Bowman
still the same in this county. In the original list of
subscribers to this Confession of Faith, "done and
finished in our united churches in the city of Dortrecht,
21st April, A.D. 1632," occur the surnames Jacobs,
Willisemsen, now Williamson;
Winkelmans, now Winkleman;
Zimmerman, now the same, or translated
into Carpenter; Shoomaker,
now Shoe-, Shu- and Shoonmaker; Moyers,
now the same, or Meyer, Meyers;
Koenig, now King; Bom,
now Baum; Claeson, now Clawson;
Petersen, now Peterson;
Segerts, now about the same; Haus,
now pronounced Houtz; op de
Graff, now Updegraff. Thus the
connection is shown between the Westmoreland Mennonists.
of the latter half of the nineteenth century and the
Dortrecht, Utrecht, Leyden, Rotterdam, and Amsterdam
Mennonists of more than two hundred years ago.
In this county the sect is
on the decline. At one time their communicants were here
numbered by hundreds, while now there are less than
forty, and not one of these under the age of forty. The
Mennonist Church is in East Huntingdon township (which
chapter see for its history), about midway in a line
running north and south between West Overton
and Bethany, and about midway in a line
running east and west between Mount Pleasant and
Reagantown. Its last minister was John
Overholt, who resided on the eastern flank of
the hilly range that farther north in the county is the
well-defined Randolph or Dry Ridge. Since their
settlement here the Mennonists have been distinguished
for their moral worth, thrift, industry, and intelligence,
and no portion of the county excels the part originally
settled by them and still almost entirely owned and
occupied by their numerous and forehanded descendants.
Everson, Macrum & Co.
The Southwest Pennsylvania
Railroad was completed as far as Scottdale in the spring
of 1873, when the present site of the borough was farm
lands. The town was laid out that year by Peter
S. Loucks and his sister Catharine,
on the south side of the Pittsburgh road, and by Jacob
S. Loucks on the north side a short time later. Peter
S. Loucks subsequently made two additions, one
on the west and the other on the northeast, and
Jacob S. one. After the Loucks laid out the
original town Everson, McCrum & Co.
made an addition out of land bought of the Loucks
brothers. The town was the outgrowth of the railroad, and
was very appropriately named in honor of its then
celebrated president, Col. Thomas A. Scott. The first
store opened here was by Livingood & Miller, and the
second by Parker & Smith. The first house built after
that was by James Kehoe, on Pittsburgh Street and still
occupied by him. The next were Abe Bosiers and John
Rites. The first hotel was kept by Lewis Stimple,
and the second by Henry Branthoover. The first resident
physician was Dr. C.D. Fortney, the next Dr. A. Rogers,
followed by Dr. B.R. Mitchell; then came Dr. Robert
McConaughy, who afterwards removed, and the last Dr.
A.W. Strickler, who came from Fayette County in
1877. The only lawyer settled here is J.R. Smith, who
came from Huntingdon County in 1881. The first
magistrates were N.L.K. Kline and
William G. Hays; the latter resigning was succeeded by
T.W. Ault, who, with Joseph. K. Eicher
(succeeding Kline) are the present incumbents. The two
oldest persons in town are Col. Brinker and Thomas Kehoe.
In the fall of 1872, Peter S. Loucks had
laid out fourteen lots, and his brother, Jacob S.,
ten, thinking these would answer but in the following
year such a demand arose for lots that they at once laid
out the town regularly into a large number. Pittsburgh
Street (road) was the division line between their two
tracts. The first lots were sold in fall of 1872
(twenty-four), at one hundred and fifty dollars each, and
were seventy-two by one hundred and fifty feet, since
when several of them have sold at one thousand dollars.
Subsequently a majority of the lots were one hundred and
ten by thirty feet, and were sold at from one hundred and
twenty-five to two hundred and fifty dollars each. About
fifty acres of the land of the brothers Peter S. and
Jacob S. Loucks and their sister Catherine
went to make up the town. The "Fountain
Mill" and distillery then stood where the
furnace is, and was the property of W.A. Keifer. The
houses of Peter S. Loucks, Jacob
S. Loucks, and David F. Stoner (the
latter built 1872-73) are in the limits of the borough,
and were built before the town was laid out, but are not
on the lots but are farm lands. P.C. Hockenbury, who has
been a resident of this region since 1824, was the first
saddler and harness-maker. When the old Fountain Mill was
removed for the furnace it was the fourth mill. The first
one, a log structure, was built about 1800 by a Mr. Hoke,
and in 1822 the second one [mill], a frame building,
was owned and operated by John W. Stauffer.
INCORPORATION AND OFFICERS. The borough of
Scottdale was incorporated by the Court of Common Pleas
in the winter of 1874. The first officers since 1874 have
Burgess, Robert Foster; Council, P.S. Loucks,
T.W. Ault, James L. Klingensmith, E.C. Price,
James Morgan; Secretary, T.W. Ault; Treasurer,
P.S. Loucks; Street Commissioner, O.B.
Robertson; Assessor, P.C. Hockenbury; High
Constable, A.G.H. Cooper.
1875. Burgess, P.C.
Hockenbury; Council, J.D. Hill, Joseph K.
Eicher, R.H. Everson, William Dick,
Peter Campbell; Constable, H.C. Miller;
Secretary, T.W. Ault.
1876. Burgess, P.C.
Hockenbury; Council, James L. Dick, Peter
Campbell, G.B. Gray, R.H. Everson, Morgan Keddle;
Constable, Reason Lynch; Secretary, T.W. Ault.
1877. Burgess, P.C.
Hockenbury; Council, Morgan Keddle, David Dick,
T.C. Kenney, John M. Smith, George H. Everson;
Constable, S.J. Lint; Secretary, T.W. Ault.
1878. Burgess, P.C.
Hockenbury; Council, John Robertson, John Walter,
Morgan Keddle, J.D. Hill, T.C. Kenney; Constable,
C.H.C. Cope; Secretary, T.W. Ault.
1879. Burgess, John
Robertson; Council, H.C. Hubbs, J.D. Hill, T.C.
Kenney, William Dick, Dr. A.W. Strickler;
Constable, Samuel Bishop, J.K. Eicher.
1880. Burgess, H.B. Orr;
Council, Nathaniel Miles, J.R. Taylor, Joseph
McCullough, N.L.K. Kline, W.A.
Lockard; Constable, A.B. Finley; Secretary, T.W.
Ault, J.R. Taylor.
1881. Burgess, P.C.
Hockenbury; Council, Nathaniel Miles, P.S.
Loucks, John Klingensmith, John Robertson,
E.H. Reid; Constable, J.R. Torrance; Secretary,
Joseph K. Eicher; Council, E.H. Reid,
E.A. Humphries, William Kelly, J.D. Hill, J.W.
SCHOOLS. Before 1878 the schools were held in a
small frame school building of one room, located on the
site, of the present two-story brick edifice, built in
1878. The first one was the property of the township, and
was taken into the limits of the borough. The school
board in January, 1882, consists of George H. Everson,
president; Dr. A.W. Strickler,
secretary; Jacob S. Loucks, treasurer;
James Smith, Dr. B.R. Mitchell, and John Lott. The
Room No. 1, E.P. Weddle,
principal, succeeding E.H. Bair, resigned from sickness.
No. 2, John Weddle; No. 3, H.R. Francis; No. 4, A.T.
Fleming. The number of pupils is over two hundred, and
the annual cost of running the schools is $1650.
BUILDING AND LOAN ASSOCIATION was organized
April 24, 1876, with the following officers:
W.T. Brown; Secretary, T.W. Ault; Treasurer,
P.S. Loucks; Directors, Dr. A.J. Rogers,
G.H. Everson, J.W. Robe, O.B. Robertson, T.W.
McCune, S.J. Zearley, G.B. Gray, I.M. Kelly.
1877. President, W.T. Brown;
Secretary, T.W. Ault; Treasurer, P.S.
Loucks; Directors, T.W. McCune, J.W.
Robe, S.J, Zearley, David F. Stoner,
Dr. A.J. Rogers, G.H. Everson, P.C. Hockenburg.
1878. President, W.T. Brown;
Secretary, T.W. Ault; Treasurer, P.S.
Loucks; Directors, J.S. Klingensmith,
Dr. A.J. Rogers, Maj. J.M. Knap, M.S. Loucks,
S.R. Eicher, P.C. Hockenbury, John
Walter, David F. Stoner.
1879. President, P.S.
Loucks; Secretary, T.W. Ault; Treasurer,
D.F. Stoner; Directors, John
Klingensmith, S.R. Eicher, L.N.
Sisley, W.T. Brown, John Robertson, W.K. Herbert,
Jacob S. Loucks.
1880. President, P.S.
Loucks; Secretary, T.W. Ault; Treasurer,
John S. Parker; Directors, John Robertson, John
Rutherford, W.K. Herbert, S.D. Aultman, John
Walter, David Dick, John Klingensmith, S.R.
1881. President, P.S.
Loucks; Secretary, T.W. Ault; Treasurer,
John P. Klingensmith; Directors, John Robertson, S.R.
Eicher, T.W. Ault, W.K. Herbert, David
Dick, Dr. A.J. Rogers, J.A. Barnhart, John
Walter, John Rutherford.
LECTURE ASSOCIATION. Officers for 1882 are: President,
J.R. Stauffer; Secretary and Treasurer, E.A.
McConn; Committee, E.H. Reid, George H. Everson, George
H. Fulton, E.O. Humphries, J.D. Hill, Nathaniel Miles,
BUSINESS AND MANUFACTURING INTERESTS. The
extensive planing-mill and lumber manufactory of Ruth
& Stoner was established in 1873 by Peter
S. and Jacob S. Loucks. They operated it on a
large scale until January, 1882, when Messrs. Ruth &
Stoner leased it. It employs some fifteen hands in
manufacturing doors, sash, joists, etc., used by them in
building houses. The Loucks brothers in their nine
years business erected many of the buildings in the
The Loucks brothers, Peter
S. and Jacob S., have a large warehouse, in
which they store grain, seeds, wool, etc., in the buying
and selling of which they are extensively engaged.
In 1878, Zearley &
Pool erected a planing-mill and lumber establishment,
which E.H. Reid purchased and operated after them. It is
now conducted by John H. Seivers, lessee of the property
of Mr. Reid, and is situated on Broadway, one square from
Pittsburgh Street. It employs some twenty hands, and
procures its lumber from the West and Northern
Pennsylvania. Since its erection, four years ago, it has
built many buildings in the place. The largest store here
is that of E.H. Reid, formerly owned by the Furnace
Company, of whom Mr. Reid purchased some years since. He
is an old merchant, having been in business nearly
fifteen years at Broad Ford. Another
large dry-goods store, etc., is that of J.S. Parker,
successors of Parker & Smith, who started the second
store in the place. There are two large hotels, and every
kind of industry is well represented. There are no
licensed places for the sale of spirituous or malt
liquors in less quantities than the gallon or keg.
banking-house of J.S. Stauffer and P.S.
Loucks, doing business as the Scottdale
Bank, has just [c. 1882] been established
in the borough. It proposes doing a general banking
business, receiving deposits and making discounts. John
M. Stauffer is cashier. The bank is located in
Loucks Block, a new building, on Pittsburgh Street.
This town, a station on
the South Penn Railroad, is on parts of the old tracts of
land owned by Matthias Camp and Henry Fox.
In 1800, when there was no building on the site
of the present town, the Mennonite Church congregation
purchased of Mr. Camp an acre and a half of ground, on
which the same year they erected a log meeting-house, a
school-house, and laid out a graveyard. This was the
first start of the place. Shortly afterwards Christian
Stoner erected a saw-mill, carding-machine, and
fulling-mill on land purchased of Joseph Fulkerth.
He also put up a cabinet-makers shop and made
coffins, being the first undertaker in the township. Next
was the erection of a log house on the old State road, on
the Fulkerth land, east of the railroad, which was built
along here in 1872. The opening of the railroad was the
beginning of the place, which before was hardly a hamlet.
That year Hurst, Stoner & Co.,
composed of Braden Hurst, B.B. Stoner,
Mr. Shaw, and W.B. Neal, established their coke-works,
now having seventy ovens. They laid out thirty lots along
the State road. Their firm is the same now, but the
partners are Braden Hurst, with Messrs. Rafferty and
McClure. The next year S. Warden & Co. opened their
coke-works and built twenty company buildings for their
workmen. This company (three-fourths of whose stock is
now owned by the Southwest Coal Company) have at present
seventy-two ovens. The first physician here was the
present practitioner, Dr. J.E. Rigg, who located in 1875.
The State road, from Mount Pleasant to Smiths
Ferry, passed by its site, and on it a mile west of
Stonersville a Mr. Keggy kept tavern several years before
1800, when Rev. David Funk purchased the
place. The post-office was established June 1, 1877, and
Braden Hurst appointed postmaster, who still holds the
office. The present stores are kept by J.J. Hurst &
Co. and Wil11am A. Byers, and the grocery by E.H. Trout.
SCHOOLS. The first school-house was a little
rude log hut. It was torn down, and the second one
erected, a small brick structure, in 1836. In this house
the first teacher was a Mr. Lutis, an educated
sea-captain from Germany. It being too small a new one
was built (brick) in 1850, which was replaced in 1876 by
the fourth and present one, a fine two-story building,
with two rooms. The four school-houses were on four
different lots, two located north of the State road and
two south. The present teachers are W.E.
and E. Loucks, both experienced
educators and sons of the late Rev. Peter Loucks.
MILL,an extensive steam flouring-mill, a frame
building, three stories in height, is the first
grist-mill erected here, and was built in 1881 by its
proprietors, P.L. and J.B. Shoup,
descendants of an old family, early settled in the
is a hamlet in the western part of the township, whose
vicinity was early settled by the Suters, Smiths,
Snyders, Lowes, McCurdys, Henkstellers, Reagans (from
whom it took its name), Fosters. Here was the
"Harmony" Presbyterian Church, erected in 1849,
and the place of attendance on church worship by that
denomination for miles around until 1879, when the
congregation was absorbed into the Scottdale Church. Two
miles south of it is the Wesleyan Chapel, near which the
old families of Hixons, Espeys, Felgars,
Steinmans, Houghs, Foxes, Kellys, Durstines,
Hutchinsons, and Fretts reside.
STATION is on the railroad just below the
Hempfield township line, and is quite a shipping point.
Old Stand" is in the northwest
part of the township, in a neighborhood early settled by
the Nulls, Ruffs, Lowes, Bryans, Reagers, and Kellys.
SOUTHWEST PENNSYLVANIA RAILROAD traverses the
entire length of the township, and has been the means of
adding largely to its wealth and population, and has
stations at every necessary point to accommodate the rich
mineral and agricultural productions produced in its
THE OVERHOLT FAMILY (WEST
In 1800, Abraham
Overholt came from Bucks County, where his ancestors
had settled half a century before, and located where is
now the village of West Overton. His
wife was a Stauffer, by whom the following
children were born: Henry, Jacob, Abraham, Martin, Christian S.,
John, died young, Annie,
married to John Tintsman, and Elizabeth,
married to John W. Frick.
I. Of these, Henrys
children were: 1, Sarah A., married
to A.S.R. Overholt; 2, Benjamin F.;
3, Maria; 4, Abbie C.;
5, Abraham; 6, Henry C.;
7, Jennie C., married to Nathaniel
children were: 1, Maria; 2, Elizabeth;
3, Abraham; 4, Isaac;
5, Mary Ann; 6, Fenton;
7, Christopher; 8, Jacob Webster;
9, Emma Fox.
children were: 1, George [Karen's direct line]; 2, John; 3, Norman;
children were: 1, Hudson; 2, James;
Henry; 4, Elizabeth,
married to Mr. Richey; 5, Ida.
Tintsmans children were: 1, Jacob O.
Tintsman; 2, A. O. Tintsman, a coal king
of Pittsburgh; 3, Henry O. Tintsman, of
Mount Pleasant; 4, John, died in late
war in the army; 5, Annie, married to
Loren Leasure; 6, Emma, married to
Dr. Kline, of Greensburg.
Fricks children were: 1, Maria,
married to J.S.R. Overholt; 2, H. Clay
Frick, a coal prince of Pittsburgh; 3, Annie,
married to Mr. Braddock, merchant of Mount
Pleasant; 4, Aaron; 5, Edgar;
VII. Christian S.
Overholts children were: 1, Alice Carey;
2, Charles; 3, Elmore;
4, Mary, married to George McKean;
5, Annie; 6, William.
Jacob Overholt was
a brother of Abraham, and came here from
Bucks County about the time of the latters arrival,
and located midway between Scottdale and West Overton. He
was a noted veterinary surgeon in his day. He
married Elizabeth Detwiler, by whom were
born the following children: John D., Henry
D., Annie, married to Abraham
Sherrick, Jacob, Susan,
married to Christian Stauffer, and Martin.
Of these the eldest, John
D., married Elizabeth, daughter of Christian
Stauffer, by whom the following children were born: Agnes,
married to Abraham Bechtell; Jacob;
Ann, married to Alexander H. Boyd;
Elizabeth, Christian, John,
and Aaron S.R., the last two being twins and the
established a small still on his farm in 1810,
which used only a bushel amid a half of grain per day.
Before 1859 it had been enlarged, but in that year the
firm of A. & H. Overholt erected on the same
site the present distillery. It is a
brick structure, six stories in height, one hundred by
sixty feet, with capacity for two hundred and fifty
bushels daily. On the first addition, about 1830, to the
establishment a flouring-mill was added
and steam-power introduced. Both corn
and rye whiskey are made, and the superiority of its
brands of flour and whiskey has given the mills a great
celebrity. They are now operated by A.C. Overholt
& Co., who have one hundred and thirty
coke-ovens just north of the village, of which
sixty-two were started in 1873, and the others in 1878.
These give employment to over a hundred men, and produce
one hundred and eighty tons of coke daily. With the distillery
is connected a large farm, on which is the elegant
brick mansion in which A.S.R. Overholt
resides, and which was built in 1838 by Abraham
Overholt. The post-office was
established in 1850, and since 1866 A.S.R.
Overholt has been postmaster, his predecessor
being Jacob O. Tintsman. The village was laid out
and built by Abraham and Henry Overholt [his oldest son], and grew up settled by their employés. The
first store was kept by Christian S. Overholt &
Co., and the present one by A.C. Overholt &
Co. The village is prettily located in a rich
agricultural and coal region, and many of its residences
are fine brick structures. This place owes its
existence to the Overholt family, who early
settled in and around it, and where their descendants are
still very numerous, being intermarried with many of the
THE STONER FAMILY.
The ancestor of the, Stoner
family in this county came from Switzerland
in the middle of the last century, landed at
Philadelphia, and settled in Chester County. He
subsequently removed to Morrisons Cove, in Bedford
County. His son Christian, born in
Chester County, came to East Huntingdon township in 1799
from Bedford County, where he had lived several years.
Here, near Stonersville, he purchased five hundred acres
of land, now in four farms. Tobias Landis
now lives on the old Stoner homestead, the other three
parts being owned by the grandsons of Christian,
viz.: Adam Stoner, Christian
Stoner, and Solomon B. Stoner,
there being a few small subdivisions besides. He died in
1814, and his wife, Barbara, in 1816. Of
his land when he came one hundred acres had been put in
cultivation by previous owners, and had a cabin on it,
the remainder being in woods. His neighbors were Abraham
Ruth on the west, George Mumaw
on southeast, and Rev. David Funk on the
east. Abrahams children were John,
married to John Werts, Elizabeth,
married to Christian Sherrick, Christian,
Jacob, Daniel (the first born
in this county, the others having been born before their
parents arrival here), Henry, Anna,
married to John Rudabaugh, and David.
Of these the eldest, John, was born in
June, 1787, and was married Oct. 11, 1811, to
Magdalena Fox, daughter of Henry
Fox. He died Aug 7, 1868, and his wife April 21,
1858, in her sixty-eighth year. Their children were Elizabeth,
born 1814, and married to David Funk,
grandson of the Mennonite preacher; Henry W. [Funk], born 1816; John H., born 1818;
Mary, born 1821, and married to David
Funk; she dying he married her sister Elizabeth;
Jacob F., born 1823, Adam, born
1826; Christian F., born 1828; Anna,
born 1830, and married to David Landis; and Magdalena,
born 1833, and married to Rev. Reuben H. Bolton.
The locality settled by
the Stoner family was early called "the Stoner
settlement," and the name of Stonerville
was given to the village (now a thriving town) in
recognition of this family, so prominent in this region
since 1799. Leuffer Station is on the land of Henry
THE FOX FAMILY.
Henry Fox was
born in Chester County in 1745, and early (in 1797)
settled in this township, two and a half miles west of
Mount Pleasant, and near the Stoners. He had two sons and
several daughters. Mr. Foxs selection of land, over
three hundred acres, was ever considered the finest of
the early purchases, being the clearest from the hollows
and runs. His daughter Magdalena married
John Stoner, and was the mother of the well-known
citizen, Henry W. Stoner. Mr. Fox died
July 25, 1824, aged seventy-nine years, and his
wife, Mary, Aug. 30, 1834, aged eighty.
who had been a Revolutionary soldier, removed from
Lebanon County when his son John was a
small boy, and settled near Adamsburg, in Hempfield
township, on Brush Creek. This son, John,
moved to the manor near the church, where he died. Johns
son, Joseph Kline, was born near Adamsburg, and
came to New Salem in 1851, Where he has since resided.
When a small lad, and plowing with his fathers
hired man in a field adjoining the battle ground of
Bouquette, he saw plowed up many Indian relics, and in
one field found well-preserved hair of the Indians, that
had lain covered up for over half a century, and was as
fresh and flexible as when the Indians were buried.
Residence Farm & Old Homestead of Rev. P. Loucks
Stonersville, Westmoreland County, PA
THE LOUCKS FAMILY.
The Loucks Family
in this county is descended from an ancestor who
emigrated from Germany in 1759 and settled in Bucks
County. From him sprang a grandson, Peter Loucks,
who removed in 1800 and settled first just across Jacobs
Creek in Fayette County, on a farm where now is McClure
& Co.s coke-works. Here he remained a year. He
then purchased eighty acres of land, now a part of his
grandsons (Peter S. Loucks) place, of John
Hugus, with a cabin on it, into which he moved.
Two years later he bought another eighty-acre tract,
included in the present town of Scottdale, of a Mr. Galloway.
At that time an old house, stable, and blacksmith-shop
were on this place, all standing on the site of the
Methodist Episcopal Church lot. He had married in Bucks
County Anna Overholt, by whom there were born the
following children: Henry, Catharine,
Jacob, Mary, and Martin,
and those born after their arrival here were Sarah, married
to Samuel Dillinger, John, Nancy,
died young, and Peter, the latter living
in Indiana. The original emigrant Loucks died about 1825,
and his widow subsequently married Martin Stauffer.
Rev. Martin Loucks,
who was only a year old when his parents came here, was
born in 1798, and married Nancy Stauffer. He was a
well-known Mennonite preacher, and
preached at the old church in Stonersville. He died Nov.
7, 1869, aged seventy years, and his widow resides with
her son, Peter S. Their children were
Elizabeth, married to David F. Stoner and
deceased; Jacob, Anna, Catherine,
Abraham, Peter Stauffer,
and John. In old times the nearest
schoolhouse to the Loucks place was on the Overton farm,
a mile distant, and was a stone, structure,
octagon-shaped. The old Peter Loucks
homestead of eighty acres is now included in the
limits of Scottdale borough. John,
second child of Peter Loucks, born here
after his arrival from Bucks County, was the father of
the late P. Loucks, who became an
eminent minister of the Church of God denomination. The
latter married the youngest daughter of John Fox,
who moved to Westmoreland County when there was but one
house where the town of Mount Pleasant now stands. Her
mother, Frederica Carolina Sherbus, was from the canton
of Kircheimlanden, Switzerland, and
married Mr. John Fox in 1820. She died
May 23, 1876, aged seventy-eight.
Rev. P. Loucks,
had five children, two of whom, W.E. and
E., are the teachers of the Stonersville
Peter Loucks, the
first of the name in the county, died July 10, 1825, aged
sixty-four years, and his wife, Anna (Overholt),
March 15, 1845, in her seventy-fifth year.
PETER STAUFFER LOUCKS.
Under the heading "The
Loucks Family," a chapter which appears
elsewhere in this volume, will be found a brief record of
the immediate ancestry, etc., of Peter S. Loucks.
The parentage of Mr. Loucks is therein noted, but is here
repeated for the convenience of this sketch.
Mr. Loucks is the son of
the late Rev. Martin Loucks, who died Nov. 7,
1869, in the seventy-first year of his age, and Nancy
Stauffer (born Feb. 9, 1808), his wife, still living,
and who is the daughter of the late Abraham and
Elizabeth Myers Stauffer, natives of eastern counties
of Pennsylvania, both of German descent. Abraham
Stauffer died in Tyrone township, Fayette County, in
1855, at about sixty-one years of age. His wife, Elizabeth,
died in Scottdale, Nov. 11, 1878, in the ninety-sixth
year of her age. Martin Loucks and Nancy
Stauffer were intermarried June 15, 1826.
Martin Loucks was
brought up on the homestead farm, and was educated in the
common schools of East Huntingdon township, and became a
farmer, and continued such during life. He was reared
under the religious instructions of the Mennonite
Church, and some time after his marriage, at about
the age of thirty years, he was chosen, according to the
customs and rites of his church, a preacher,
and fulfilled the duties of his office, which was an
unsalaried one, during his life. His duties took him
frequently into various parts of his own county and
adjoining counties. Mr. Loucks was greatly
beloved by his people. Though forbidden by the
laws of his church to hold political office, he took
interest in politics as a Whig and afterwards as an
Rev. Mr. and Mrs.
Loucks were the parents of eight children, five
sons and three daughters, whose names are cited in the
record above referred to. Of these children Peter
Stauffer Loucks is the sixth in number, and was born
May 3, 1841, on the old homestead farm of his grandfather
and father, a beautiful spot, lying about fifty rods west
of Jacobs Creek in East Huntingdon township, from the
site of the house in which he was born and from his
present residence near by a fine view of Chestnut Ridge
and Laurel Hill being afforded.
Mr. Loucks was educated at
home and in the common schools. His father was a great
friend of education, and took pains to instruct his
children at home, as well as to watch them when attending
school, to see that they spent their time profitably and
made progress in their studies. Indeed, he was
exceedingly particular in the matter of the education,
religious and literary, of his children. Peter continued
attendance upon school in the winter season till about
twenty-one years of age, and occupied himself on the farm
under his father until, when about twenty-six years of
age, he and his brother Martin were
given by their father entire charge of the farm, which
they conducted till after the death of the elder Mr.
Loucks, whereafter, under the provisions of the
fathers will, they came into possession of the
farm, and Martin, after about two years,
sold his interest to Peter and his
sister Catharine, who now own the farm
jointly. The farm is devoted to the common agricultural
purposes and to the raising of stock for the markets. Mr.
Loucks has paid more or less attention to the rearing of
improved breeds of Durham short-horned cattle and the
imported English breeds of draught horses.
A portion of Mr.
Loucks farm, or about sixty acres thereof, has been
laid out at different times into dwelling-house lots and
sites for business houses, a considerable part of the
most active or business portions of Scottdale now
occupying the same.
In the spring of 1873 Mr.
Loucks, in connection with his brothers and T.J. Larimer
and William Leeper, under the firm-name of Loucks,
Larimer & Co., established in Scottdale a planing-mill
for the manufacture of all kinds of worked lumber
necessary for building purposes, and took extensive
contracts for building. After the death of Mr. Leeper in
March, 1880, Mr. Loucks and his brother Jacob
purchased the interests of all others in the concern, and
carried on the business as the firm of P.S.
Loucks & Co. till Jan. 1, 1882, when they
leased the establishment to Ruth & Stoner,
who now conduct the business. Mr. Loucks has
actively engaged in promoting the interests of Scottdale
and largely contributed to its rapid growth, and is the
owner of several of the best buildings, dwellings, and
business houses of that borough.
Mr. Loucks, with his
brother Jacob, has since April, 1881,
been engaged in the grain-shipping business,
with Scottdale as the centre of operations, bringing
grain from the West and elsewhere and distributing it to
the East and various points. In politics Mr. Loucks is a
Republican, but does not aspire to office, but has held
borough and township offices.
May 29, 1878, Mr. Loucks
married Miss Mary A. Boyd, daughter of George
W. Boyd and Martha Smith, his wife, both of
Fayette County, and descendants of the earliest settlers
of that county. The issue of this marriage is one son, Arthur,
born June 18, 1880.
COL. ISRAEL PAINTER.
Col. Israel Painter
was born in Hempfield township, Westmoreland County, Pa.,
Nov. 11, 1810. He was of German descent on both his
fathers and mothers side. Jacob Painter,
his grandfather, after marriage emigrated from
Mecklenburg, Germany, and settled in Berks County, Pa.
Here four sons and two daughters were born, viz.: Jacob,
Michael, John, and Tobias, a
daughter married to George Myers, and one married
to Christopher Harrold. Jacob Painter and
his wife died and were buried in Berks County. Jacob
Painter, their eldest son, married a daughter of
----- Rapiere, who lived in Indiana County, and
settled on a farm in Hempfield township, situated on the
Big Sewickley Creek, eight miles south of Greensburg,
which became known for many years as the "Judge
Painter place," and now owned by David Fox.
By his first wife he had seven children, viz.: Betsey,
Rebecca, Catharine, Tobias, George,
Elias, and -----. His first wife died, and was
buried at Harrolds Church. For his second wife he
married Catharine, daughter of Christopher and
Elizabeth (Mueller) Lobingier. By her he had ten
children, viz.: Polly, John, Jacob, Christopher,
George, Joseph, Benjamin, Susan,
Israel, and Sophia.
always lived on the farm on which he first settled. He
built on the place a stone grist-mill, which he
carried on in connection with his farming. He was an
energetic, active business man, a member of the
Legislature for several terms, justice of the peace for
many years, was the Whig candidate for Congress against
William Findley, and came within seventeen votes of being
elected, and held the position of associate judge at the
time of his death. He was a man of commanding presence,
being about six feet in height, heavy set, and weighing
about two hundred and twenty pounds. In personal
appearance his son, Col. Israel Painter, is said
to have resembled him.
at the age of fifty-nine, and was buried at Harrold
Church. His widow, Catharine, survived him about
thirty years, lived with her sons, Christopher and
Israel, at the "Willow-Tree Farm," where
she died, aged eighty-four, and was buried at Markle
Cemetery. His daughter Betsey was wife of Gen.
Joseph Markle, and mother of Gen. C.P. Markle,
From 1865 to the time of
his death Col. Painter gave much attention to coal
and coal lands. He was the first to introduce into the
Eastern market Western Pennsylvania coal as a gas-coal,
Eastern manufacturers of gas using up to that time an
imported coal for that purpose. In company with John
George, Jr., Col. Lewis McFarland, and others,
he purchased large tracts of coal lands on the line of
the Pennsylvania Railroad in North Huntingdon township,
selling the coal to the Penn Gas-Coal Company and
Westmoreland Coal Company.
In company with Gen.
Herman Haught, John Derbyshire, H.N. Burroughs, S.B.
and C.P. Markle, he bought and sold many hundred
acres of coal lands in Sewickley township. In 1873 he
built seventy-four coking ovens in Bull-skin
township, Fayette County, and carried them on till 1879.
He owned one hundred and seventy acres of coking coal
lands near Mount Pleasant at the time of his death.
He was interested in
contracts for the construction of sections of the
Pennsylvania Railroad, of the Northwest Pennsylvania
Railroad, also of the Pittsburgh and Erie and Pittsburgh
and Connellsville Railroads. He was a stockholder in the
Mount Pleasant and Robbstown pike, also in the
Youghiogheny Navigation Company. He was prime mover in
the building of the Southwest Pennsylvania Railroad, also
the Mount Pleasant and Broad Ford Railroad, and a
director in both, as also in the Pittsburgh and
He was associated with
Governor John W. Geary in contesting the will of Stephen
Girard, in behalf of the heirs of the latter against the
city of Philadelphia. He represented his district in the
House of Representatives from 1846 to 1848; was canal
commissioner from 1849 to 1852; was a delegate to the
Democratic National Convention at Charleston, S.C.,
identifying himself with the Douglas wing of the party.
He was at one time a candidate of his party for
nomination to Congress, but was defeated in the
convention by Hon. H.D. Foster.
His death was the result
of an accident. By a fall a glass bottle was crushed in
his hand, by which the latter was so badly cut and
lacerated he survived the effect of it only ten days. He
died on the 4th day of July, 1880. It has fallen to
few men "to fill a larger space" in their
locality than did Col. Israel Painter. His energy and
will seemed inexhaustible. He was constantly on the
alert. With him to think was to act. Difficulties and
obstacles which would have overwhelmed and swamped most
men only inspired in him renewed exertions. All his
enterprises were conducted on a large scale. To figure in
a small way with him was an impossibility. In his
disposition he was wholesouled and genial, consequently
few men commanded a wider or warmer circle of friends.
[History of Allegheny County, Pennsylvania,
A. Warner Co., Chicago; 1889; p. A660]
JOHN W. PAINTER,
distiller, Pittsburgh and Boston, was born in
Westmoreland county, in 1839, and is a son of John
and Harriet (Parks) Painter, of Lancaster
county. His father was a native of New Jersey, settled in
Westmoreland county about 1796, and followed farming as
an occupation. William Parks, the father
of Harriet Parks, was also an early
settler in that county, and represented his county in the
legislature for two terms. John W. Painter
was educated at Beaver and Hayesville (Ohio) College. His
wife is Isabella Cornell, daughter of Robert
and Martha (Neely) Cornell, of this county, a
native of Scotland. In 1867 Mr. Painter entered
the firm of Joseph S. Finch & Co., of
Pittsburgh. Mr. Finch died in 1884, and Mr. Painter
purchased his interest in 1885. He associated with him J.
G. Pontefract, the old firm name of Joseph S.
Finch & Co. being retained. Mr. Painter
established the famous brand of whisky known as
"Golden Wedding Rye," and other famous brands. The
distillery and warehouses belonging to this firm reach
from Chestnut street to the Monongahela river, being 280
x 600 feet in dimensions. The warehouses, bonded and
free, have a capacity of forty thousand barrels. The
daily output of the distillery averages about four
thousand gallons. Mr. Painter holds the office of
postmaster at Boston, having been appointed in 1887.
Karen's Note: This
J. G. Pontefract may be the James
G. Pontefract who figured prominently in the
undermining of the rights of the Overholt Family to their
Broad Ford Distillery. See what happened in 1881,
in my Timeline, and follow the story in Addenda, Part II.
The name Lippincott is,
one of the oldest of local origin in England, and was
derived from Lovecote, which is described in the Domesday
Book or cencus, made by order of William the Conqueror,
in 1086, of lands held by Edward the Confessor in
104166. This Saxon name implies that a proprietor
named Love held the house, cote, and lands, hence called
Lovecote, which name was probably already ancient.
Surnames were not settled until about this date, and
hence Lovecote, Loughwyngcote, Lyvenscott, Luffingcott,
Luppingcott, through which variations it has descended to
become fixed in Lippincott during the last two centuries,
and is undoubtedly of great antiquity.
The family were granted
eight coats of arms by the College of Heralds. One of
them, belonging to the Wibbrey branch, and in the
possession of Philip Luppingcott, Esq., of North
Devonshire, England, in 1620, when visited by the
Heralds, and was at that time already ancient, is thus
described: "Per fesse, embattled gules and sable,
three leopards, passant argent. Crest, out of a mural
crown, gules, five ostrich feathers, alternately argent
and azure. The motto, Secundis dubiisque
rectus, which may be thus translated, Upright in
prosperity and adversity, or firm in every fortune."
The family in America are
descended from Richard and Abigail,
who removed from Devonshire, England, in 1639, and
settled in Boston, New England. Having been
excommunicated from the "church" at Boston for
nonconformity in 1651 he returned with his family to
England, and resided at Plymouth, and early thereafter
became a member of the Society of Friends,
then emerging from the various sects around them, and in
consequence endured much persecution for the testimony of
a good conscience.
he returned to New England, and lived for several years
in Rhode Island, and finally in 1669 established himself
and family at Shrewsbury, Monmouth Co., N.J., where he
died in 1683. His widow, Abigail, died
in 1697, leaving a considerable estate. Richard
Lippincott was the largest proprietor among the
patentees of the new colony.
From their eldest son, Remembrance
by name, descended Samuel, who in 1789
removed from New Jersey to Westmoreland County, Pa. One
of his sons, James, was the father of
twelve children, viz.: William,
John, Jesse, Joseph,
Samuel, Henry, Katherine
(Mrs. Ulam), Sarah (Mrs.
Cyrus P. Markle), Rachel (Mrs. Toliver),
Harriet (Mrs. Hemingray and Mrs. Oliver
Blackburn), Nancy (Mrs. William
McCracken), Mary (Mrs. Clark).
The maiden name of the mother of this numerous family was
Zeigler. She came from the State of
Joseph Lippincott was
born near Mount Pleasant, Westmoreland Co., Pa., March
17, 1800; his whole life was passed in his native county
and that of Allegheny. On the 20th of November, 1834, he
was married to Eliza Strickler, who all
through his life made him a loving, tender wife, and
whose memory is dearly cherished by her children,
relatives, and many of those to whom she ministered. In
1835 they went to Pittsburgh to live, where he, in
connection with his brothers, William
and Jesse, became proprietors of the
Lippincott mills, now known as the Zug
iron-mills. He remained in Pittsburgh until
1838, when he disposed of his interests and returned to
Mount Pleasant, where for over twenty years he was a
successful merchant. He had the confidence of the public
to an almost unlimited extent, and as banks were scarce
in those days he became a depository for moneys that at
times reached a large amount.
About the year 1854 he
engaged in the business of safe manufacturing
in this city, the firm being Lippincott &
Barr. The works were situated on Second Avenue,
running through to First Avenue, on the site at present
partly occupied by Messrs. C.P. Markle & Sons
paper warehouse. In the year 1856 he also purchased an
interest in the firm of Lippincott & Co.,
axe and shovel manufacturers. He retired from active
business pursuits in 1859, residing in Mount Pleasant
until 1865, when he removed to Pittsburgh.
In the year 1830 he was
elected lieutenant-colonel of the Eighty-eighth Regiment
Pennsylvania Militia, his commission bearing the
signature of George Wolf, then Governor
of the State. This is the only public position he ever
held, his temperament being such that, while always
taking an active interest in State affairs and wielding
an undoubted influence, yet he did not court publicity.
The colonel, or
Uncle Joe, as he was familiarly called, endeared himself
to the people of Mount Pleasant and vicinity by his many
acts of kindness. If there was a poor man in
financial difficulties he was always sure of relief from
him, and oftentimes it was voluntarily extended without
being asked for. His generosity was unbounded, and to
this day many of the older residents of that section
recall instances of his unswerving friendship that do
credit to his goodness of heart.
He together with his wife
were members of the Baptist Church, and in his days of
prosperity he was one of the largest contributors that
there was in Western Pennsylvania to his church and her
institutions. Having almost reached his eightieth year he
died in Allegheny City on the 28th of August, 1879; his
wife died on the 27th of April of the same year.
In summing up his
character the writer of this sketch, his son, wishes to
put on record his admiration of those virtues in the
character of his father that were worthy of emulation. He
was a country gentleman of simple tastes, but he was a
man among men. His surviving children,
who all reside in Pittsburgh, are Harriet E.,
Sarah A. (now Mrs. Henry H. Vance), Annie
M., and Jesse H. Lippincott.
Three children, Mary Jane, James,
and William, died in their youth.
J.K. Kline, M.D.
The father of Dr.
Klines great-grandfather was Peter Kline,
who lived in Lancaster County, Pa., in that part
subsequently organized as Lebanon County, but whether
there native born or an immigrant from Germany is not
known. He was the father of three sons, the eldest
of whom was named John. The other two
died young, and their names were forgotten. John
grew to manhood, and took part in the Revolutionary war,
immediately under the command of Washington,
at Valley Forge, and after a season of service in active
duty was taken seriously ill, and upon recovery was
transferred to the commissary department, and placed in
charge of foraging parties, or troops the duty of which
was to collect supplies for the army.
In the pursuance of this
duty Kline and his men scoured the
country seeking provisions, for which they proffered to
pay, and which the rebels or patriots willingly sold or
gave to the army. But there were numerous Tories in those
days in the district of Klines operations, who
believed that the war would terminate unfavorably to the
rebel cause, and would not sell their goods or willingly
contribute their quotas under levies made; saying to
Kline, "Take: the king will repay us!" and he
therefore did take. But the war terminating unfavorably
to the patriotic Tories, they had no king to appeal to
for reimbursement, and after the war they became the
bitter foes of Kline and his comrades, and poured out
their vengeance upon them by deeds of darkness; burning
their houses and crops in the night season, etc.
soon after the war, married a Miss Mace,
and settled upon a farm near Millersburg, Lebanon Co.,
which farm he inherited from his father. There he
remained for some time, becoming the father of several
children, the oldest of whom was called John.
The Tories nursing revenge bided their time, but finally
visited upon him persecutions in the shape of the
malicious destruction of his crops, the burning of his
outbuildings, etc., and made life there so uncomfortable
that his wife became terrorized and entreated him to
migrate westward and leave the farm in the possession of
He resolved to go to
Kentucky, and started thitherward on horseback, carrying
his boy John before him, his wife and
family also riding horseback, and thus they traversed the
Allegheny Mountains. Reaching a point four miles west of
Greensburg, near what is now called Grapeville, on their
way to Fort Pitt, they found the road there forked, and
pursued the branch which seemed the more travel-worn, but
which, however, led not to Fort Pitt, but to the Manor
settlement, as they found on inquiring of "a woman
and another person," as the chronicler states, who
were making hay in a meadow. One of them asked,
"What course, my friends?" Kline informed her
that he wished to go to Fort Pitt en route to
Kentucky. She replied, "Why, my dear friends, have
you not heard of the recent murders committed on the
frontiers?" an Indian outbreak having then recently
taken place. Kline said "No," and listened to
the quick story of the slaughter of men, women, and
children, and Mrs. Kline exclaimed, "If
thats the case I shall go no farther!"
The next thing was what to do, and Kline learned that he
could live on "the Painter
improvement," and settle there in his
trade as a weaver for the time being, and
concluded to do so. He sold his horses for want of feed,
but not without regret interposed by "little
John," who "owned" one of the animals, a
At that time Mr. Kline
held a draft on a Mr. Boggs for £75, which was, however,
lost by the failure of Boggs, a fact which, however, did
not leave him entirely penniless. He loaned money to one
John McKee, a frequent guest of his on his way
to and from Philadelphia; and McKee becoming much in
debt, conveyed to Kline in part payment
seventy-five acres of land in the centre of what is now
McKeesport. But McKee getting on his feet again, desired
to purchase back the land, and Kline agreeing,
McKee soon laid out the tract into dwelling-house lots,
of which he profitably disposed, founding the city now
bearing his name.
In addition to
little John, whom we have noticed, the family of
the elder John consisted of William, George,
Samuel, Polly, and
and raised a family in Adamsburg, where he died, George
died single, and Samuel went to
the Southwest, and was never heard from by his
Pennsylvania friends. The daughters married, one Peter
Kemerer, the other Daniel Kemerer,one of
whom eventually settled in Illinois, and the other in
Mr. Kline was a
conveyancer as well as farmer, etc., and made frequent
journeys to Philadelphia to examine titles. At
last he made a trip to this city, as is supposed, and
never returned, and was never afterwards heard of by his
family. His absence left his family embarrassed, and they
finally lost the farm he had acquired in Manor District,
and were thrown upon their own resources.
now well grown, provided for the family as well as he
could, and they moved to and settled in the vicinity of
Adamsburg, Westmoreland Co., where John cleared away the
forest. He eventually married Miss Nancy Buchman,
a native of Hagerstown, Md., by whom he had a large
family, one of whom, John by name, was
the father of Dr. Kline. He enjoyed the
customary opportunities for education in those times, and
grew up a farmer, subsequently settling in Manor
District, Penn township. He was a man of great
energy and industry, and was noted for his unswerving
honesty in all the business affairs of life. In
addition to his farm he became the owner of a mill
property at Bouquet, and conducted the business
of the mill for a time. He died when forty-six years of
age, leaving a wife, whose maiden name was Elizabeth
Knappenberger, a daughter of John
Knappenberger, a descendant of one of the
earliest settlers of the Manor District. The death of her
husband devolved upon Mrs. Kline the care of the family.
She was at that time a woman of great energy, as well as
mental strength, and now, when almost an octogenarian,
her mind is not only unimpaired but bright as in youth.
With rare tact, good judgment, and the exercise of the
Christian virtues, she reared her family well, always
commanding their love.
The family comprised ten
children. The first was Hezekiah Joseph,
who married, settled in Illinois, and died, leaving one
son, now a resident of California, he completing the
Western journey of the Klines, which was arrested in the
person of his great-grandfather, compelled to settle in
Westmoreland County, as related above. The second child
was Hannah, deceased; the third, William
J.K.; the next, Nicholas, a surgeon
dentist by profession, now residing in Scottdale;
the next, Mary Ann, married to David
Snyder, and residing on the old homestead; the next,
Henry, who entered the army during the
Rebellion, and while faithfully serving his country died
at Newbern, N.C., in 1864, at about twenty-one years of
age. Being drafted for the war, and some of his friends
volunteering to take his place, he said, "No; I
recognize this as a proper call of my country, and I will
let no other perform the duty which belongs to me to
The next in order of the
family is Lydia, wife of Cyrus J.
Snyder, residing in Penn township, on her grandfather
Knappenbergers old farm; the next, Amos,
who after a thorough education in the select schools and
academy in Westmoreland County took a course in and
graduated from the Eastman Business College, at
Poughkeepsie, N.Y., and is now associate editor of the Westmoreland
Democrat. The next is Alpheus, who
graduated from Franklin and Marshall College, Lancaster,
Pa., studied divinity in the theological seminary of that
place, and is now a minister of the Reformed Church.
Jacob, the last, died in infancy.
Dr. William J.K.
Kline was brought up on the homestead farm,
attended the common and select schools, Glade Run
Academy, and subsequently graduated from Jefferson
College, at Cannonsburg, in the class of 1860. During his
senior years in college Dr. Kline pursued the elective
study of law. His health being at that time quite broken,
he spent some time in the oil regions, at the outbreak of
the oil excitement, hoping thus to recover his health,
but without much avail. Leaving the oil regions he
entered the office of Dr. H.G. Lomison,
of Greensburg, and with him read medicine, matriculated
at Jefferson Medical College, Philadelphia, took a course
of lectures, and then entered Turner Lane Military
Hospital, in that city, as a cadet, and subsequently
completed his medical course at Long Island College
Hospital, and graduated therefrom in 1864.
The battle of Gettysburg
being then in progress he proceeded to Harrisburg with
the intention of entering a surgical corps, passed
examination by the State Medical Board, and was assigned
to duty, and a large number of the wounded having been
shipped to Harrisburg, he and Dr. J.S. King
organized in that city the Walnut Street Hospital, of
which they continued in joint charge for the period of
nine months, at the end of which the emergency under
which the hospital was organized was over. Near
the close of his engagement there Dr. Kline contracted
typhoid fever, which unfitted him for military duty, and
on recovery went into private practice at Irwin Station,
Westmoreland Co., where he followed his
profession for some years, being a portion of the time
assistant surgeon, and during the absence of Dr. Lomison,
the surgeon, in Europe, the acting surgeon for the
Westmoreland Division of the Pennsylvania Railroad
In 1868 Dr. Kline married
Miss Emma Tinstman, daughter of the late
John Tinstman [and Anna Overholt, daughter of
Abraham Overholt and Maria
Stauffer], of Fayette
County, Pa. In 1868-69 he took an extra course of medical
lectures at the Be1levue Hospital Medical College, New
York. In 1871 he removed to Greensburg, where he
practiced his profession. He is one of the proprietors of
the Westmoreland Democrat, and for the first few
years of his residence in Greensburg shared with his
copartners the editorship of that paper, in addition to
his professional practice. In 1876, Dr. Kline was
elected a member of the State Legislature, and served in
the sessions of 1877-78.
Dr. Nicholas L.K. Kline.
Dr. Nicholas L.K.
Kline, surgeon dentist of Scottdale, is a son of
the late John Kline, of Penn township,
and was born Nov. 1, 1836, and is of German descent. A
record of his ancestry in this country for several
generations may be found in the interesting biographical
sketch of W.J.K. Kline, M.D., in the
Greensburg chapter of biographies in this volume.
was brought up on the homestead farm, and was educated in
the common schools, and at the age of eighteen years made
a trip at coal-boating from Pittsburgh to New Orleans,
after which he entered Leechburg Academy, in Armstrong
County, which institution he attended in summer sessions.
In the winter he taught school in his native township,
commencing his career as a school-teacher in 1857. He
followed school-teaching for four years. In 186162,
Dr. Kline was occupied in the oil regions in Venango
County, Pa., in company with his brother, now Dr. Kline,
of Greensburg, operating in oil.
Returning from the oil
regions he went to the study of dentistry
in the office of the late Dr. A.E. Fisher,
of Greensburg, where he remained for about two years, and
then located at Irwin Station for the
practice of his profession. When the doctor settled at
Irwin it contained only ten houses, but the enterprise of
the doctor and others so improved it that in a few years
it was incorporated as a borough, the doctor
being one of the incorporators.
he, in company with his brother Amos,
established there a drug-store, which,
together with his dental business, he conducted for some
years. Finally he sold his interest in the drug-store,
and after remaining a year longer at Irwin moved
to Scottdale, August, 1873, where he still
resides, practicing dentistry, and enjoying a good
practice. He is devoted to his profession, and
conscientious in his work as well as skillful. Those once
employing him remain his friends, and re-employ him on
occasion. As an evidence of his sedulous industry it may
be mentioned that he has without assistance manufactured
over three thousand sets of teeth aside from all his
other professional work.
When he settled at
Scottdale that now flourishing borough was a new place,
almost as fresh and youthful in appearance as a Western
city on the prairie when just staked out and boasting
only the cabins of the first wagon-load of
"colonists." Scottdale at that time had but
five dwelling-houses. The building of the rolling-mill
had just commenced. Dr. Kline was one of the
incorporators of the borough, and soon after its
incorporation was elected the first justice of
the peace of the place. He served as such for
five years and two months. He has always taken an
interest in the improvement of the borough, and has been
one of the Council. Dr. Kline is a member and elder of
the Reformed Church, and was one of the eleven
founders of the church in Scottdale, and
together with his wife, who for about seven years prior
to the present has been the organist thereof, has taken
an active interest in its growth and maintenance.
Jan. 17, 1865, Dr. Kline
married Miss Elizabeth Boice, of
Greensburg, whose maternal great-grandfather, Richard
Hardin, was an Englishman by birth, but a
soldier on the side of the colonies in the Revolutionary
war. Her grandfather, also Richard Hardin,
was a soldier in the war of 1812. Mr. and Mrs. Boice were
the parents of nine children. Mr. Boice died in
1843 at the age of thirty-six years. Some years after his
death his widow married Mr. Joseph Walter, of
Greensburg, who is now dead. Mrs. Walter is living in
Greensburg, and is seventy years of age.
of the County of Westmoreland, by George D. Albert;
L. H. Everts & Co., Philadelphia; 1882; pp. 702-710.]
ERECTION, BOUNDS, ETC.
SEWICKLEY TOWNSHIP was
erected in 1835, and was named after the Big Sewickley
Creek, that flows along its southwestern boundary. It is
bounded north by North Huntingdon, east by Hempfield,
south by South Huntingdon, and west by the Youghiogheny
Among the earliest
settlers were Gaspar Markle, Judge Jacob
Painter, Anthony Blackburn, the Carothem,
Carnahans, Campbells, Biggses, Dr. Lewis Marchand, John
Milligan, Capt. William Pinkerton, James Milligan, the
Gilberts, McGrews, and others. James Milligan, yet living [circa 1882], is ninety-one years of age, and has voted for
sixty-five consecutive elections. Capt. William Pinkerton
was six feet four inches in height, and a man of immense
muscular power. Anthony Blackburn, who had settled here
about 1778, removed to Canada, taking with him a large
family, several of whom had been schoolmates of Gen.
Joseph Markle. One of these sons returned ten or
twelve years afterwards, and resided in this
neighborhood. The sons who remained in Canada were
drafted and served in the British army in the war of 1812
on the Northwestern frontier. After the war was over one
of them paid a visit to his relations in Westmoreland
County, and here stated that a few days before the
commencement of the siege of Fort Meigs he was lying with
a company of Indians in ambush near the fort; that while
there Gen. (then captain) Joseph Markle and his
orderly sergeant, John C. Plumer, and a part of his troop
passed by; that he, Blackburn, recognized his old
acquaintances, Markle and Plumer, and consequently
permitted them to pass without firing upon them. This
recognition saved the lives of all the party.
THE MARKLE FAMILY.
The progenitor of the Markle
family in Westmoreland County was John Chrisman Markle
Christian Merklin (1678-1766)],
who was born in Alsace, on the Rhine, in 1678. After the
revocation of the Edict of Nantes, in 1685, he fled from
Germany, passing down the Rhine, and settled in
Amsterdam, Holland. Here he married Jemima Weurtz
(or Weurtzen), a sister of the admiral of that name. In
1703 he came to America, and settled at Salem Springs,
Berks Co., Pa., where he purchased fifteen hundred acres
of land of the Penns. He was by trade a coach-maker, and
he there established a wagon-shop, blacksmith-shop, and
His, son Gaspard
was born in Berks County in 1732, and married Elizabeth
Grim, and in 1770 removed to Westmoreland County.
Shortly afterwards his wife died, and he returned to
Berks County, where he married Mary Roadarmel,
whom he brought to his home in this county. His residence
here was the post of refuge to which the settlers fled
for succor and safety. He and Judge Jacob Painter entered
large tracts of land that extended several miles up and
down Sewickley Creek. Several of his sons served in
the desultory wars growing out of the incursions of the
Indians, one of whom, George, was especially
distinguished at the defense of Wheeling. George,
his nephew, was in the Revolution and at the battle
of Brandywine, and his brother Jacob was in the
naval service under Commodore Barney, and on board,
"Hyder Ally" at the capture of "Gen.
Monk." His brother-in-law, Joseph Roadarmel,
was at the battle of Long Island, in August, 1776, where
he was wounded, captured, and taken prisoner on the
British ship of war in New York harbor, on which he died
of wounds received in battle. Another member of the
Markle family, Abraham Markle, removed from Germany,
and settled in Canada, and became a delegate in the
Provincial Parliament. In the war of 1812 he came to the
United States, and became colonel in the American army.
The British government confiscated all his property in
Canada, but the United States gave him four sections of
land near Fort Harrison, in Indiana.
Gaspard Markle in
1772 erected a grist-mill on Sewickley, which traverses
his ancient homestead. Here was made some of the first
flour manufactured west of the Allegheny Mountains. It
was transported in flat-boats by Jacob Yoder, a citizen
of Reading, to New Orleans. So much consequence was
attached to this feat that the citizens of Spencer
County, Ky., where he afterwards lived and died, erected
a monument to him to commemorate the fact. All the
salt used was transported by the Markles (Gaspards
sons) from Eastern cities on pack-horses, the
intervening country being an almost unbroken forest and
impassable with wagons. Of course taverns and
habitations, if any, were few and far between, and the
caravans of packers were compelled to carry with them
from home the necessary provender for the whole journey.
But often the weary packer was turned out to graze on the
mountains, or in the rich valleys which diversified and
divided them, while the rider himself reposed under the
shadows of the overhanging forest. His son, Gen.
Joseph Markle, was born Feb. 15, 1777, and was the
most daring of all the packers over the mountains.
(1) History of the
County of Westmoreland, Pennsylvania, edited by
George Dallas Albert; L. H. Everts & Co.,
(2) History of Fayette County, by Franklin
Ellis; L. H. Everts & Co., Philadelphia; 1882.
(3) History of Allegheny County, Pennsylvania,
A. Warner Co., Chicago; 1889; p. A660.
(4) Memoirs of Allegheny County, Pennsylvania:
Personal and Genealogical, Vol. 2; Northwestern
Historical Assoc., Madison, Wis.; 1904; pp. 239-240.
(5) A Genealogical Record of the Descendants of
Martin Oberholtzer, by Rev. A. J. Fretz; Press of
The Evergreen News, Milton, New Jersey; 1903.
(6) Along the Banks of Jacobs Creek, compiled by
Winifred Paul, Mennonite Publishing House, Scottdale, PA.
(7) The Oberholtzer Book: A Foundation Book of
Oberholtzer Immigrants and Unestablished Lines,
compiled & edited by Barbara B. Ford, The Overholser
Family Association, Wallingford, PA.
(8) John Pritiskutch Reproductions Web Site: http://www.anthracitemaps.com/